Associate Designer, Swim
About the Role
In this role, you will work in an energizing, inclusive, and creative environment focused on concepting and creating sustainable product that exceeds customers' expectations. Your goal is to partner with cross functional team members who collectively are responsible for ensuring that the product style, fit, and quality are more than worth the price for our customers. Responsibilities include participating in the conceptual development of the product line and ensuring product is consistent with market trends and brand strategies. Must lean into risk taking and be customer curious!
What You'll Do
As an Associate Designer for Swim, you will contribute to two seasonal collections per year, as well as additional capsule collections and special projects. You will report into the Design Director of Swim and Intimates, work closely with the Design Team, and partner with cross functional team members who collectively are responsible for creating innovative product that is famous for its sustainable technical beauty.
Who You Are
What You’ll Do
- Research global markets in order to identify new trends, silhouettes, fabrics, techniques, embellishments, collaborations, and sport
- Support Design Director in initiating designs beginning with thorough research to communicate seasonal trend & inspiration
- Support Design Director in balancing fashion & trend within the line plan - drive core category evolution and development of emerging businesses opportunities
- Assist in design innovation and high-level brand strategy exploration: research and create mock-up briefs in collaboration with Design Director
- Ownership in building all seasonal tools (using programs such as Illustrator, InDesign, and Miro) and updating throughout each seasonal gate
- Sketch in 2D with Illustrator software; hand sketching a plus; 3D sketching ability an advantage
- Partner with Product Engineering to tech pack and communicate vision behind fit & design, ensuring execution, quality, and desired margin targets
- Pre-fit prototypes (ensuring fit intent, styling, constructions); participate in weekly fittings
- Work with Product Engineering to elevate construction, craft techniques and considered design language with performance end-use principles
- Own tech pack creation and BOM component list; partner closely with Product Engineering throughout the season with a focus on the details in order to create beautiful, elevated products
- Assist in submitting sample prototype requests each season and communication with our offsite development team
- Attend all cross functional meetings and provide thorough recap/follow up for Designer/Lead
Who You Are:
- Dynamic, team-oriented attitude; positive energy with an ability to take feedback
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, being able to juggle multiple seasons at one time
- Curiosity to explore new ideas
- Strong sense of style and color with a considered aesthetic with an eye toward detail
- Thorough knowledge of silhouette, fit, fabrication, and construction
- Proficiency in Illustrator and Photoshop with an understanding of PLM; 3D design software knowledge a plus!
- Confident presentation skills, capable of influencing an audience
- Well-crafted communication and organizational skills, inclusive of tracking development deadlines
- Ability to travel globally for factory visits, trend/trades hows, design meetings, etc.
- Minimum of 3+ years experience in apparel design; Bachelor Degree or higher in Fashion Design program