Associate, Designer - Textiles
Macy's is proudly America's Department Store. For more than 160 years, Macy's has served generations at every stage of their lives. Customers come to us for fashion, value and celebration.
Macy's Merchandising curates the best national and private brands to support our customer's self-expression from off-price to luxury. Merchandising ensures Macy's is the premier fashion authority using a high acumen for products and trends as well as strong relationships with vendors in the marketplace. Our team maximizes sales and gross margin for each product category by identifying, procuring, and assorting the products that our customers demand.
Do you have an eye for products and trends? Join Macy's Merchandising and create connections that surprise and delight our customers at every turn.
The Associate Designer is responsible for the design, development, selection, and approval of materials, trims, silhouettes, colors and patterns for area of responsibility. Responsible for a specific classification or area. This position will support the Design team in developing and executing a strategic vision, with a progressive, customer centric-approach all while delivering on sales and profit objectives. This role requires the ability to leverage technical expertise to identify opportunities and develop an assortment. . A fundamental requirement is to be able to build trust with their teams and key collaborators.
Assortment Vision, Strategy & Selection
- Work with Senior Designer on development and execution of product designs that achieve overall product strategy and merchandise objectives
- Participate in research and development of seasonal trends
- Interpret seasonal fashion direction, assortment opportunities and merchandise trends for area of responsibility
- Produce cohesive product presentations, including boards, tear sheets and samples to help sell concepts to merchants
- Prepare line and presentation materials for all milestone meetings including color boards, concept boards, print, and storyboards
- Ensure designs meet Brand DNA direction and assortment strategies
- Research the retail market seeking new merchandise/trend ideas
- Research the trend market seeking design inspiration (materials, fashion, color, trade shows) as needed
- Interpret specific color palettes, patterns and prints for the season
- Select and approves style, materials, trims and colors that fit into the program and style plans
- Responsible for creating and distributing fabric development packages (delete this)
- Responsible for creating and distributing color cards & pattern development sheets (delete this)
- Develop flat mechanical sketches for design development packages and request development samples
- Responsible for tracking and approving strike-offs, samples and other development materials
- Collaborate with Tech team to make sure corrects specs are used for sample development
- Review and comment on development samples
- Decide on in-season Design changes to make for the department based on sales, margin, and turn forecast
- Participate in strategic meetings with your cross-functional partners
- Modify the product line based on customer input
- Assist in identifying the key programs that comprise each classification
- Adhere to the seasonal time and action calendar for area of responsibility
Relationship Building with Overseas/Domestic Vendors, Marketing, Product Integrity, & Technical Design
- Maintain an industry presence that allows for connections, new business opportunities, and ideas at Macy's. Represent and support the Macy's brand while maintaining this presence and building relationships
- Point of contact with Vendor Community(Overseas/Domestic)
- Communicate regularly with Omni partners to gather input and share line development direction
- Communicate on a daily basis with overseas offices to share line development direction
- Select and approve materials, patterns, and colors.
- Use CAD programs for style, color, and pattern development
- Attend all fit sessions with Technical Design and Design Teams
- Assist in developing and coaching Design Assistants (where applicable)
- Inspires, motivates, and influences the behavior of others to drive high performance
- Engages team to examine current practices and encourages creative thinking about how things could be more effective and efficient.
- Asserts own ideas and persuades others in a clear, confident, and composed manner. Tailors message for the audience and is able to gain support and commitment from others.
- Comfortable with taking risks and celebrating risk-taking regardless of the outcome
- Collaborative, consultative style with a strong ability to establish trust and build relationships across all levels and functions of the organization.
- Resilient, tenacious, high energy. Able to rapidly bounce back from adversity.
- Embraces change with realistic optimism and persists through challenges and setbacks caused by change.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Ideally, 3-4-plus years of industry experience.
- Bachelor's Degree in Design or Fine Arts
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to influence
- Able to develop, plan, and present given category of business
- Understands competitive marketplace and pursues white space opportunities that align with Polaris Strategy and the Brand DNA
- Competitive research and determine action necessary to address competitive challenges
- Identify any product opportunities and provide suggestions.
- Ability to prioritize and manage workload with multiple deadlines
- Strong color sense/print sense
- Ability to view and differentiate the color spectrum
- Proficiency in MS Office and Excel
- Working knowledge of Illustrator, Photoshop, and PLM
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and Company needs.