Associate Mechanical Engineer, Nike Explore Team Engineering and Manufacturing
Become a Part of the NIKE, Inc. Team
NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world’s best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At NIKE, Inc. it’s about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
Innovation is oxygen for NIKE, Inc., and the company depends on its talented, global workforce to breathe originality and curiosity into everything they do. The Nike Advanced Innovation team strives for lighter, faster, bigger, smarter, smaller, more efficient, more sustainable and more personal. They imagine, research, analyze and invent the next industry-changing technology to advance athletic performance. In roles that span research, design, materials and manufacturing, the Advanced Innovation team looks to the future and focuses on making the seemingly impossible, possible.
The Nike Explore Team's (NXT) Footwear Engineering and Manufacturing group invents and develops scalable, digitally-driven methods of make that enable product innovation, simplify manufacturing and reduce carbon through robust engineering and product integration.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for a highly motivated, curious and hands-on oriented individual to join the Rapid Prototype Machine (RPM) team as an Associate Mechanical Engineer. This role will use their knowledge of science and engineering to design and build functional mechanical prototypes that enable new manufacturing process development. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, has strong problem solving and critical thinking skills and can thrive in environment of ambiguity.
WHAT YOU WILL WORK ON
As an Associate Mechanical Engineer, you will work on building various types of mechanical projects including fixturing, jigs, simple machines used to develop new process specifications. Prototypes may include mechanisms (gears, pulleys, levers), electromechanical systems, electrical and electronic systems, pneumatics, and hydraulics.
If this is you, you’ll be working along side RPM engineers and machinists to actualize mechanical prototypes. Once assigned a project, you will work on developing and documenting specifications that meet required goals. Afterward, in the design phase, you will use your CAD skills to generate 3D models and 2D drawings based on the specifications you developed. You will then start researching for applicable off-the-shelf parts or start fabrication of custom parts. Finally, you will assemble prototypes, verify the design meets specifications and deliver prototypes to customers.
WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
You will be working in a world-class R&D facility with dedicated machine shop, testing lab, engineering and maintenance teams to collaborate with. You will have opportunities to work directly with internal customers to analyze solutions based on appropriate specifications in order to meet customers needs. This role will team directly with our Machine Shop Supervisor to design and fabricate mechanical prototypes for assigned projects.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Mechanical, Aerospace, Mechatronics, Manufacturing, Electrical Engineering or related field; or a combination of education, experience, and training.
- 2 or more years' experience in R&D, machine design, or manufacturing environments
- Experience using CAD (SolidWorks preferably) to design mechanical prototypes is required
- Knowledge of basic engineering principles and ability to apply toward mechanical design and analysis
- Experience with dimensioning and tolerancing and understanding its impact on manufacturability
- Experience using CAM, post processing, and/or CNC simulation software a plus
- Ability to use basic hand tools, machine shop and measurement equipment a plus
- Experience programming microcontrollers and microprocessors a plus
- Basic experience analyzing and building electric circuits a plus
- Be a creative and active problem solver with a strong attention to detail
- Work independently with minimal direction/supervision
- Ability to handle multiple competing projects simultaneously
- Ability to work in a team environment and meet short project deadlines
- Strong written & verbal communication skills – cultural awareness required
- Personal computer skills with working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Ability to lift tools, parts, and various equipment up to 50 lbs may be required
Nike requires all applicants for this position to be vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition of hire, unless otherwise required by law. As an equal opportunity employer, Nike will make accommodations to individuals who cannot be vaccinated in accordance with applicable law.
NIKE, Inc. is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Nike offers a generous total rewards package, casual work environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location, or the role, every Nike employee shares one galvanizing mission: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.
NIKE, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.