Associate Merchandise Manager - Apparel & Accessories
Part gallery, part art fair, part online marketplace - Artful Home is all of these things and more. For over 30 years, we have been successfully connecting artists and art lovers, offering an extensive juried collection of fine art, craft, and design for the home and wardrobe. We are dedicated to creating an unforgettable experience for customers, artists and staff. We believe that every work of art has a story. We also believe that each member of our team has a story - and that these narratives enrich our entire organization.
Artful Home's Guiding Principles define who we are as an organization, how we operate, and what we stand for. They act as a compass in every interaction and decision, forming the foundation of our culture.Human Touch
To make meaningful connections and create a positive, lasting impact on others' lives.Accountability
To own our work, take responsibility for our actions, and understand the impact we have on others and the business.Integrity
To lead by example, stand up for what is right and show consideration to ourselves and others through our words and actions. We say what we mean and do what we say.Inspiration
To ignite passion and excitement through others through our steadfast commitment to Artful Home's purpose.Improvement
To question the status quo, embrace change, and foster innovation. We continually seek out new ways to streamline work, make improvements, and reduce waste.Inclusion
To cultivate a culture of belonging where all feel respected, supported, and valued, and where everyone can fully participate and achieve their potential.Artful Home Offers
- A team of creative, forward-thinking experts
- A unique business with a competitive edge
- An inspired workplace culture
- Exceptional customer care
- Innovative technology to support who we are and what we do
- An opportunity for you to make your mark
Artful Home is looking for a team player, who appreciates what we do and believes in our Guiding Principles, to join our dynamic team in Madison, WI. The success candidate will be responsible for developing high-level strategy and assortments for their assigned categories or designers and overseeing all product development and curation for the assortment. Partners with all cross-functional teams, inclusive of Marketing and Inventory Planning, to ensure strategy execution across all channels of distribution.Responsibilities Include
- Focuses on Artful Home's Vision and Guiding Principles. Considers the best interest of Artful Home and its team members, artists, and customers, while performing job duties.
- Contributes to an environment in which all team members are respected and included regardless of their individual differences and feel motivated to improve individual and work area contributions to achieve desired business results.
- Develops high-level category strategy based on internal (sales analysis, KPIs) and external (trend, competitive analysis) analysis and market share opportunities. Understands the pulse of the market and competitors. Identifies new business opportunities and recruits new designers to the site.
- Partners with the Director of Merchandising to build and lead the strategy for apparel catalog and website, develops seasonal catalog assortment plans, identifies key stories, curates catalog spreads, and improves productivity to drive profitable business growth.
- Owns the assortment, including drop ship, purchased, exclusive artist/designer development, and private label product development. Owns product documentation and PIM accuracy. Supervises sample management.
- Analyzes business performance and presents reports weekly and quarterly. Synthesizes data from multiple sources to understand the business and drive growth. Reports on key takeaways and proposes actionable next steps.
- Owns artist relations as it relates to product assortment, independent of artist support provided by the Associate Manager, Artist Services.
- Manages merchandising creative turnovers of catalog spreads, identifying sample needs, and participating in preproduction meetings, and overseeing styling and accessorizing.
- Manages merchandising turnover to Ecommerce team inclusive of identifying key stories and items for website and emails.
- Manages the existing processes, systems, and calendars and actively participates in continues improvement to drive efficiency.
- Participates in related staff, team, and/or task group meetings to ensure constant communication of key items.
- Manages one (1) Merchandise Assistant.
- Hybrid - May work remotely but requires the ability and flexibility to work in the office (onsite) in Madison as needed and upon request.
- Performs all other duties as assigned (some may become essential.)
- Overtime as required.
- Travel as required.
- Possesses and demonstrates values that align with Artful Home's Vision and Guiding Principles.
- Values the differences in team members, artists, and customers, giving them the benefit of the doubt before making assumptions. Supports team members and goes to them directly when there is a concern.
- Demonstrates professionalism, maintains confidentiality in organizational matters, and always positively represents Artful Home.
- Remains approachable to internal and external customers and leads by example.
- Demonstrates initiative, enthusiasm, self-motivation, a strong sense of ownership and accountability, and a passion for product.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal, organizational, and collaboration.
- Demonstrates strong communication skills to include writing, listening, and giving and receiving feedback, and the ability to build positive team relationships.
- Ability to establish designer and artist relationships.
- Ability to make responsible decisions, use good judgement and take a positive approach to problem solving and operational efficiency to include identifying and defining problems, establishing facts, and drawing valid conclusions.
- Ability to review and comprehend instructions, correspondence, and emails. Ability to prepare various documents and emails proficiently and professionally.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations.
- Ability to effectively deal with stressful, high-pressure situations and calmly deal with the issues that arise.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrates adaptability and flexibility.
- Ability to prioritize, manage time effectively, and thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Demonstrates Intermediate to expert computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite products to include Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other software programs, with a focus on Excel.
- Demonstrates safe and quality conscious work habits. Complies with policies, procedures, regulations, and laws to protect Artful Home's interests.
- Demonstrates prompt and regular attendance.
- Bachelor's degree in merchandising, retail merchandising, business, marketing, or a similar field, and three (3) or more years of directly related experience is preferred.
- Thorough understanding and working knowledge of catalog merchandising, multi-channel retailing, sales optimization in an online environment, financial planning, and strong analytical skills are required.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually mild.
- Environments are heated and cooled based on outside weather conditions.
- All work is conducted on the first floor. There are no stairs to climb.
- While performing the duties of this job, the team member is regularly required to sit, move from one area to another; keyboard or handle objects; and reach.
- The team member must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Some travel is required.
- Artful Home is embarking on a journey to become a more inclusive and equitable company.
- We believe that creative expression exists in everyone-across all dimensions of identity. Yet not everyone has equal access to the places where their creativity can be seen and heard. Therefore, we are working to break barriers of access for artists, makers, and designers. We are committed to celebrating and representing the true diversity of American culture.
- We are also determined to expand our workplace culture to one that values diversity and centers equity. We are cultivating a culture in which every voice is heard, and every team member feels a strong sense of belonging.
- We recognize that this will be an ongoing transformative process that requires systemic change. We will demonstrate our commitment by supporting our team members in this process and providing education, training, and growth opportunities. And we will hold each other and ourselves accountable-because the work may not be easy, but it is necessary.
- Artful Home is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all applicants and team members regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, military service, protected veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
- Artful Home will provide qualified applicants and team members who have disabilities with any needed reasonable accommodations as required by law.