Buyer, Fashion Watches
The Buyer is responsible for driving the strategic vision of their category of business, while leading and developing a team of Associates, Merchant Coordinators and/or Assistant Buyers. This position develops customer centric assortment plans based on each cruise line’s guest and demography, a detailed knowledge of the product category, and data. The Merchandise Manager works in partnership with their Planning Manager counterpart to achieve sales, gross margin and inventory turnover/weeks of supply plans while demonstrating a comprehensive understanding of the connection between financial strategies and related merchandise objectives.
What You’ll Be DoingESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:Strategic Priorities
- Develop and execute strategic vision for areas of responsibility while supporting multiple cruise line profiles (Budget, Moderate, Upscale, and Luxury).
- Create merchandising & presentation standards that correlate and support the strategic vision of the business.
- Source, develop and manage vendors that are relevant to our business & negotiate terms, gross margin, and exclusive agreements.
- Set annual & seasonal objectives for each business and measure/course correct for progress & performance (Sales, Gross Margin, and Inventory Turnover).
- Build assortments that support overall cruise line strategic merchandising vision and are relevant (productive & profitable) to each ship.
- Develop assortment mix management to deliver key item ownership, key classification impact and unique & novelty items.
- Responsible for creating a compelling pricing strategy that supports value & savings needs and can be communicated to consumers through ship signing program.
- Direct assortment planning that effectively addresses and delivers product with appropriate breadth & depth based on ship profile and volume.
- Strong collaboration with planning partner to determine seasonal and annual departmental and classification plans for sales, PPD, gross margin, receipts and inventory.
- Consistently analyze, evaluate & reset to performance of each business and brand by ship, focusing on key classifications and key items.
- Direct and manage currency of inventory, processing markdowns & DSKU identification on a timely basis to keep inventories clean.
- Develop and secure necessary IMU and GM objectives and secure market financial support to achieve product and brand targets.
- Continually update DMM of merchandising of emerging trends, market updates and new product opportunities.
- Develop competitive retail pricing strategy which delivers compelling price advantage and savings to consumer.
- Maintain competitive market awareness both in US and European domestic markets, Caribbean Business, as well as expanding itineraries, such as Asia, Australia and South America.
- Develop hard-hitting promotional opportunities and ensure consistent in stock.
- Work with brands on product exclusive and co. branding opportunities to provide points of competitive differentiation.
- Develop strong relationship with planning partner through teamwork and communication.
- Consistently act as a positive contributing force within Starboard in all interrelations and communication.
- Develop regular and actionable communication with Cruise Line Retail leadership, Directors, District Manager, Ship Managers and all sales support functions.
- Hire, train, develop, motivate and retain a highly talented team.
- Lead and manage a team of Associate Merchandise Managers, Merchandise Coordinators and Assistant Buyers.
- Complete annual performance evaluations, provide feedback to grow and develop teams.
- Provide regular performance feedback to MP&D leadership team.
Education And Experience
- 7- 10 Years of Experience
- Bachelor's Degree Required
- Strong Leadership and Communication Skills required to grow and develop team
- Business Acumen; Analytical Skills to Drive Sales , Profit and Inventory
- Cross Functional Collaboration with Planning Team, Retail Operations, Marketing
- Ability to have strong influence with peers and business partners
- Proficiency in Microsoft Applications such as Outlook, Excel, Word, Power Point; strong excel skills required as position involves creating/maintaining many complex spreadsheet.
- Manages department within a function with authority to hire/terminate
- Makes operating decisions and takes action for a department/project/initiative. Actively participates in strategy development. Very broad guidance from management. Requires high level of problem solving ability based on complex nature of problems.
- Between 10%- 25% of time
- Customer Service
- Relationship Management
- Business Acumen
- Drive for Results
- Problem Solving
- Communicating Effectively
- Teamwork and Collaboration
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Some flexibility in hours is permitted, employee must be available during the “core” work hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday and must work 30 hours each week to maintain full-time status. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Physical DemandsOffice environment with frequent sitting, walking and standing, occasional climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching and balancing. Frequent use of eye, hand and finger coordination enabling use of office machinery. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds. Oral and auditory enabling interpersonal communication as well as communication automated devise such as the telephone.
What We Commit ToAt Starboard Cruise Services and Onboard Media curating a vibrant world can only be accomplished by vibrant and diverse teams. We are committed to nurturing a workplace where you can feel safe to show up authentically and thrive while being uniquely you. Our North Star guides us to deliver equal employment opportunities for all individuals and to providing employees with an equitable work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We also aim to extend this commitment to the partners we work with and the guests we serve. We are constantly listening, learning, and evolving to deliver on these promises.
We believe our differences make us stronger and are curious to see you leverage your lived experiences to strengthen our team, our culture and your career. At Starboard Cruise Services and Onboard Media we take action so that no one is discriminated against because of their differences, such as age, disability (physical, mental or sensory), ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, religion, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, genetic information, family care status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. All employment decisions will be made based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications.
So come onboard with us and celebrate a culture that attracts top talent with shared values and forms the foundation for a great place to work.