The Buyer's main function is to build product lines in tune with divisional merchandise strategies that generate targeted sales, profit and liquidation levels.
The identification of sports/fashion trends, regular communication with the Customer Experience & Sales team, and regular market visits are key elements to building a successful product range. Negotiations with vendors on quantity, exclusivity, delivery deadlines and price are fundamental aspects of the job, geared towards maximizing the company's profits and surpassing margin goals.
With the customer at the center of our vision and with the newly implemented "Customer Connected" strategic framework, the buyer plays an important role in creating a deeper, more relevant connection to our customers.
- To fuel a shared passion for self-expression
- To create unrivaled lifestyle experiences for our customers
- To be at the heart of the sport and sneaker community
The buyer will have a key role in developing the 'Collections' and 'Content' component of the "Customer Connected" strategic framework" by delivering the most compelling and unique assortments whilst engaging consumers with powerful story-telling.
One of the key buyer responsibilities is to establish effective working relationships with vendors to strengthen business and support company strategies. Past and predicted vendor performance & fashion trends will help the buyer determine product strategy for the coming seasons, within which the buyer should identify 'key items' that are expected to drive department sales throughout the current period.
- Identifies trends through the eyes of the customer - embraces the "sneaker culture"
- Gains critical marketplace /competitive insights that impact the business
- Brief vendors on relevant trends for the Foot Locker muse
- Drive the creative trend direction for the department, identifying new products, seasonal themes and vendors
- Influences the vendors in incorporating relevant trends into the line
- Develop and build a strategic business plan for the department based on current performance and future trends
- Ensure department merchandise strategies are consistent with company's division level strategic plan
- Anticipate future trends, opportunities and consequences accurately and creates a plan of action to get in front of them
- Build a relevant assortment that incorporates current and future business trends
- Ensure there is a good/better/best tiered assortment
- Develop assortments based on regional trends and relevance
- Understands components of OTB and uses forward thinking to manage the business
- Together with Planner, ensure style plan aligns with Financial Plan, Merchandise Strategy, and business plan
- Builds working relationships with vendors and colleagues to strengthen business and support company strategies
- Compile and analyze vendor results at department and category level
- Partners with vendors early to influence the product development and assortment.
- Ensure department vendor strategy and targets align with division strategy
- Recommend and support joint vendor initiatives
- Analyzes business & consumer data that create insights that lead to action plans
- Understands customer cross channel shopping behavior and how to leverage buys through all channels
- Recommend category and brand actions (promotions, marketing, markdowns and cancellations) to Key business partners
- Partner with Planner to create 12 month rolling forecast linked to financial plans and review with divisional management
- University or College degree in Fashion/Business or equivalent education and experience.
- Minimum 5 years' experience in a trend driven, high volume company
- Fully aware and tuned into the youth market (18-25years)
- Requires awareness of what is trending from a "sports fashion" perspective - both from a high fashion, aspirational perspective as well as a local, start up perspective.
- Proven track record in building successful product ranges