Buyer - Handbags
Macy's is proudly America's Department Store. For more than 160 years, Macy's has served generations at every stage of their lives. Customers come to us for fashion, value and celebration.
Macy's Merchandising curates the best national and private brands to support our customer's self-expression from off-price to luxury. Merchandising ensures Macy's is the premier fashion authority using a high acumen for products and trends as well as strong relationships with vendors in the marketplace. Our team maximizes sales and gross margin for each product category by identifying, procuring, and assorting the products that our customers demand.
Do you have an eye for products and trends? Join Macy's Merchandising and create connections that surprise and delight our customers at every turn.
Job descriptionJob Overview:
The Buyer is responsible for driving sales, margin, turn and growth across both channels in area of responsibility and supporting total company objectives. This position is responsible for managing pre-season and in-season assortment building, including assortment selection and assortment driver strategies. The Buyer must be able to develop and execute a strategic vision, with a progressive, customer centric-approach all while delivering on sales and profit objectives. A fundamental requirement is to be able to build trust with their teams and key collaborators. Another key requirement is to demonstrate curiosity in a much broader and more complex business environment transcending our traditional competitive landscape in order to re-engage our customer. Perform other duties as assigned.
The Buyer will be known as a trusted, collaborative and results-oriented leader, business partner and change agent who can lead through influence and who possesses professional maturity and industry credibility. The ideal candidate needs to be comfortable and effective leading through significant complexity. Candidates must be comfortable with quickly evaluating and sun-setting legacy approaches that no longer align to the strategy. The ideal candidate will be known for both vision and an equally strong orientation for speed.
- Lead and manage development of assortment, including assortment selection and assortment strategies, which support the high level assortment vision and maximize sales, margin, and turnover.
- Develop and maintain strong vendor relationships.
- Regular, dependable attendance and punctuality.
- Develop pre-season assortment vision that ties to company key priorities and insights from Digital, Private Brands and Planning Director counterparts.
- Evaluate and discuss trends for the upcoming season in partnership with Fashion Office and key vendors; recommend key trends and opportunities.
- Partner with Financial Planning and Merchandise Planning to ensure department level financial targets support assortment strategy.
- Partner with Private Brands and Merchandise Planning to build assortment vision to guide product development strategy, color/sizing opportunities, test new products/categories, and alignment on marketing/digital strategy.
- Decide on in-season changes to make for the department and vendors based on sales, margin and turn forecast from Financial Planning.
- In partnership with Financial Planning, present ROF strategy and plan for resolution of problems.
- Review category, class, and item performance analysis done by Associate and Assistant Buyer and determine in-season item level changes and re-order opportunities.
- Maintain an industry presence that allows for connections, new business opportunities and ideas at Macy's. Represent and support the Macy's brand while maintaining this presence.
- Meet with vendors for regular touch bases to discuss current business and plan for the future.
- Develops trust and builds collaborative relationship with supplier community, in partnership with Fashion Office.
- Set pre-season pricing strategy with input from Digital Director. Partner with Pricing team on in-season adjustments.
- Partner with Merchandise Marketing team and Digital Director to set content and promotional strategies including FOB events.
- Coordinate vendor marketing and co-op asks, collaborating with Merchandise Marketing and with input from Digital Director.
- Develop and lead pre-season and in-season merchandising vision and strategy to create a seamless shopping experience for the customer both in stores and online.
- Maximize sales, margin, and turn by establishing and communicating a store merchandising strategy that optimizes presentation and salability
- Dynamic, transformational leadership, passionate about our work.
- Inspirational leader that has proven followership. Viewed in the organization as being a talent magnet where talent is developed and deployed throughout the enterprise.
- A builder of engaged and highly functional teams and partnerships.
- Comfortable with taking risks and celebrating risk taking regardless of outcome.
- Able to retain focus on vision and outcomes, letting others make decisions without the traditional hierarchical approval.
- Create an engaging collaborative culture both within the fashion office and also outside the office with all cross functional partners including merchants, marketing, visual and creative.
- Inspirational leader with the ability to identify, engage and motivate talent with a future-oriented mindset.
- Resilient, tenacious, high energy. Able to rapidly bounce back from adversity.
ProfileQualifications and Competencies:
- Bachelor's Degree from a 4-year college or university
- 5+ years related experience
- Ideally, 5-plus years of experience in retail, catalogue or ecommerce buying.
- Practices open and continuous communication, values keeping others informed, effectively presenting information in a clear, concise manner.
- Excellent leadership, facilitation, and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work across functional lines and at many levels.
- Ability to think creatively, strategically and technically
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and Company needs.
- Knowledge of MS Office computer programs are required