Job descriptionWhat's the role about?
Working in Partnership for a happier world - our shared Purpose that guides us in everything we do and inspires 3 important principles; happier people, happier business, happier world. The John Lewis Partnership is a truly unique business, one that seeks to make a positive difference to the lives of everyone.
We are recruiting for a Partnership Level 5 Buyer to join the Waitrose & Partners team.
In this role, you will be:
- Working in a Category Pod, consisting of but not limited to Buyer, Merchandiser, Supply Planners, Technologist, Product Developer, deliver shared KPIs for the pod through collaborative working.
- Support Category Pod to deliver individual accountabilities (Indirect Shared KPIs)
- Upskill and develop buying skills of the buying community through peer to peer coaching and mentoring,sharing best practice to facilitate cross pollination between Category Pods.
- Facilitate horizontal working across Category Pods
- Deputising for Trading Manager- Support the Trading Manager with key work streams and deputise where necessary to enable teams to deliver their category plans
This role would suit someone who is self motivated, with an ability to influence internal stakeholders and inspire our suppliers to invest inWaitrose. Ideal for a confident, assertive person, with good communication and numerical skills.The ability to work in a matrix way across the boundaries of hard line reporting is crucial. Creativity and a passion for products are also desirable.
Please see the attached job outline for further details.
What will you be doing?
You will be accountable for:
- Commercial Delivery
- Commercial performance of the categories within remit
- Delivering category commercial targets
- Appropriate assessing and reporting on Commercial performance and delivery of KPIs to line manager and other stakeholders
- Horizontal Working
- Working with dotted lines and Shared KPIs to ensure Category Pod Team delivers its indirect shared KPIs
- Consistently demonstrating and developing an in-depth knowledge of relevant demand categories, target customers and the market dynamics and translating this knowledge into business opportunities.
- Supplier Management
- Selection of appropriate supply base
- Responsibility for annual terms preparation and negotiation
- Commercial Sustainability
- Ensure JBPs and Category Plans are balanced and sustainable
- Proactive cost price management, accurate financial forecasting
- Policy & Compliance
- Operate in line with GSCoP, Competition Law and Anti-Bribery, effectively negotiate business terms
- Operate in line with CSR Policies when negotiating with suppliers, developing products and developing the Category Strategy
- To role model the Partnership values, particularly when dealing with internal stakeholders and Suppliers.
- Effective performance management of potential line report and holding people to account
- Commercial experience at Buyer equivalent delivering strong results.
- Experience of communicating at all levels of the business and/or worked in other directorates at equivalent level of commercial experience/exposure.
- Training in negotiation skills (e.g. GAP) and understanding of industry compliance (GSCOP & Competition Law)
- Data based decision making experience
- Continuous improvement mindset
- Effective performance management skills
- Experience of working together across boundaries
- Ability to empower others
The application form consists of a CV upload, an online test followed by application questions. Please ensure you refresh the page each time you complete a task to ensure you complete everything that you need to in time. (If internal, check your Workday notifications and see further guidance on the PDW under "Internal application process").
We occasionally close vacancies early in the event we receive a high volume of applications. Therefore, we recommend you apply early.
We anticipate interviews to be held virtually w/c 29th August.
As a business we encourage flexible working. We have a number of different ways to work flexibly, so at your interview feel free to talk about what flexibility means to you. There are no guarantees, however, examples of how our Partners already work flexibly include part-time, job share, home working and compressed hours.
As a Partner, you will enjoy our unique benefits package, including staff discount, subsidised food in Partner dining rooms, discounts in local restaurants, subsidised learning, access to exclusive Partnership hotels and so much more.
Internal use only: