Buyer - Merchandising
Ashley Stewart was founded in 1991. Beginning with the first store in Brooklyn, New York, the Ashley Stewart brand captured the hearts and minds of women searching for fashion-forward, well-tailored but affordable clothing in an easily accessible and welcoming environment.
Today, our customers are able to shop the brand in retail stores across the United States and on-line through our website, www.ashleystewart.com . The website has enabled Ashley Stewart to grow internationally and customers are now able to interact with fellow customers across many different forms of social media. Ashley Stewart will continue to deliver fashion forward style and flattering fit for the trend-savvy, curvy and confident woman.
Our PhilosophyWe believe in a set of core values grounded in fair play, hard work, teamwork and integrity. We believe that success comes from a group of people planning and executing in unison each and every day. We believe that Ashley Stewart exists solely because our customers trust and believe in what the brand stands for. Ashley Stewart stands for confidence, self-esteem, sexiness, class, and sisterhood. Everything we do as a Company is for our customer. Our customer looks at each and every employee as if she/he is Ashley Stewart, a trusted confidante and best friend. Ashley Stewart is as much about a shopping experience, whether it is in the stores or on-line, as it is about merchandise. Ashley Stewart stands for confidence and acceptance.
Knits And Sweaters Buyer - Position OverviewThe role of the Knits and Sweaters Buyer is to create, develop and execute merchandise procurement strategies (to include inventory distribution and inventory control) for assigned category/department, which ensure achievement of established financial performance goals. Buyer needs to have experience creating and developing assortments including basics and fashion classes and other growth categories. Buyer should have market experience. This position will buy for both e commerce and stores.
Reports to:Vice President, DMM
Major Responsibilities and/or Essential Functions:*
- Maintain direct responsibility for, and perform all activities related to, procurement of merchandise and financial performance, for assigned department; beginning with intent to purchase through delivery and in conjunction with Company’s overall merchandise buying and profitability strategies.
- Solicit and evaluate proposals for requested merchandise; analyze merchandise requirements, including preliminary specifications, preferred supplier, and date commodity is needed. Negotiate the lowest possible cost for the merchandise balanced against the optimum quality and schedule needs.
- Continually build and assess vendor pool to ensure Company’s specifications of fit, quality and fashion as well as service standards are satisfied; make recommendations on appropriate vendor for use to ensure maximum profitability.
- Implement purchase contracts that comply with company and government regulations.
- Compile and maintain department’s business reports and analyze category performance and trend; take action as approved by Vice President and or President.
- Work with Planning team to forecast category’s business performance and create and execute strategies to support category performance.
- Manage, develop and train direct reports in a manner that is consistent in achieving individual and team growth and success
- Work closely with creative and digital marketing to align strategic revenue driving goals with marketing goals
- Partner closely with business partners to ensure category’s business performance e.g. inventory control, allocation, merchandise delivery, supply chain distribution, marketing, visual merchandising.
- Perform duties and tasks as assigned by senior management team.
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university or a minimum of 5 years related merchandise buying experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Private Label experience a must-market experience essential
- High level of organization and PC proficiency is required including a thorough knowledge of Excel, Word and Outlook. Prior experience with MMS Retails Ideas is required.
- Proficiency executing business finance principles e.g. Gross Margin, profit/loss ratios.
- Ability to meet deadlines, multi-task and provide quick, accurate responses to requests is required. Strong business acumen, presentation, negotiation, analytical, retail math and attention to detail skills are require
- Proven track record of supervising and developing direct reports; training, performance management and recognition
- Ability to execute individual responsibilities and perform as a team player in sharing responsibility for the achievement of department goals.
A love for fashion and merchandising as demonstrated through the previous work and educational experience and demonstrated talent in choosing merchandise that reflects the taste level of the targeted customer