Compliance Manager, Product Safety & Regulatory Compliance
Become a Part of the NIKE, Inc. Team
NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world’s best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At NIKE, Inc. it’s about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
NIKE, Inc.’s rapid pace of innovation demands a Legal team that is always on the offense. And they’re always on their game – with the mission to advance and guide Nike’s business through innovative, offense-minded counsel. Nike attorneys, paralegals and other specialists in law provide inventive approaches and superior counsel to Nike’s global business. As Nike changes the future of sport, the Nike Legal team drives competition, ingenuity and integrity in the marketplace.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We’re looking for a dynamic and enthusiastic Compliance Manager to join the Global Product Safety and Regulatory Compliance Legal team based at Nike’s World Headquarters in Beaverton, Oregon. This position plays a critical role in our Product Safety and Regulatory Compliance program, enabling Nike to safeguard its consumers, athletes* and employees, ensure uninterrupted access to the markets in which it operates, and meet its legal and regulatory requirements around the world!
WHAT YOU WILL WORK ON
In this role, you will help ensure uninterrupted market access for Nike, Jordan, and Converse product by:
- Managing submissions of required product, packaging, and material information, for a variety of Country/State/Local regulatory bodies, including US Conflict Minerals Reporting, Chemistry Reporting, and Extended Producer Responsibility Reporting
- Developing, implementing, and managing processes, tools and vendors that help Nike meet these reporting obligations
- Collaborating with internal product and sourcing teams, and external suppliers, gathering necessary data and documentation for a wide variety of Nike products
- Monitoring existing and emerging legislation and regulation in the areas of Chemistry, Extended Producer Responsibility and Sustainability, and contributing to our global tracking framework, in close partnership with our Government & Public Affairs (GPA) team.
- Supporting additional key workstreams within the Regulatory Compliance team portfolio, including:
- Process management and review of inline and “giveaway”/promo products to ensure safety and compliance, protecting consumers and our reputation
- Research and advise on product labeling issues.
- Participating in cross-functional teams driving key corporate initiatives such as Traceability, Responsible Sourcing, Waste Reduction, Sustainability, Circularity, and more
- Working with GPA and relevant partners to develop Nike positions on, and strategies to influence the development of, relevant product legislation and regulations, including developing supporting technical/legal position papers
- Being an active member of Nike’s Product Compliance Network, helping to drive a culture of compliance within the company, and helping us evolve our product safety and compliance programs at the speed of Nike’s business.
WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
You will report to the Global Director, Product and Packaging Regulatory Compliance.
You will work with a broad swath of Nike teammates in WHQ and our Geo offices, including Legal, GPA, Sustainability, Product Creation, Quality, Packaging, Chemistry, Sourcing and Manufacturing, Logistics and Marketing.
You will also work with external partners and trade associations, and manage outside vendors and legal counsel as required.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING TO NIKE
- A Bachelor’s Degree in law, business, engineering, or sciences
- Minimum of 5 years relevant, professional work experience
- 5 years of experience in a position that demands the critical application of technical knowledge in compliance or public policy setting
- 2-5 years’ experience monitoring regulatory compliance requirements related to country communications and reporting with a branded or high-profile organization
- Strong project management and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated cross cultural communications experience. Excellent verbal and written skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels, including with senior level leaders
- High degree of curiosity
- Bias for action
- Ability to learn and use a variety of online data management systems
- Moderate proficiency in use and management of database information
- Proficient with standard Desktop tools including MS Office, Slack, Box.
- Must be willing to relocate to Portland OR area
Nike requires all applicants for this position to be vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition of hire, unless otherwise required by law. As an equal opportunity employer, Nike will make accommodations to individuals who cannot be vaccinated in accordance with applicable law.
NIKE, Inc. is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Nike offers a generous total rewards package, casual work environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location, or the role, every Nike employee shares one galvanizing mission: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.
NIKE, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.