The Costume Designer is responsible for working with the Directors to create looks for up to 12 actors, including understudies, playing 20+ characters. The Costume Designer is encouraged to pull from stock as much as possible, and therefore should be local to the Bay Area and able to travel in person to the costume storage area (all Covid safety protocols will be observed on site.) The Costume Designer’s responsibilities include but are not limited to :
- Participating with SFSF in the conceptual process, and to collaborate with the Director team, fellow designers, stage management, and technical staff of SFSF.
- Attending all production meetings and costume fittings, one run-through, and all dress rehearsals.
- Creating a costume design based on the directors’ concept. Providing images and research as requested by the directors by agreed-upon deadlines.
- Pull costume items from stock or order from outside sources in coordination with the wardrobe supervisor.
- Creating a plan for laundering and caring for costumes.
- Creating costume plots as needed and passing them on to the Stage Manager
- Remaining available to the Production Manager and Stage Manager for questions regarding costume maintenance during the run. Advise regarding costume replacements if needed in the case of an understudy performance.
- Suggest costume adjustments for extreme heat or cold.
- During in-person work, including dress rehearsals and previews, observe all Covid safety protocols in compliance with the company’s, union’s, and local county’s policies, including but not exclusive to wearing masks & gloves as required, observing social distancing rules, quarantining, and getting tested regularly.
- Participate in a Review & Reflect process in order to continue to improve SF Shakes’ culture and operations no later than one week after the closing of the production.
Job Type: Contract
Pay: $2,000.00 per month
- Costume design: 5 years (Preferred)
- Fashion design: 1 year (Preferred)
- Adobe Illustrator: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: Multiple Locations