Department Assistant (Secretary III), Athletics and Recreation
Reporting to the Director of Athletics and Recreation, the Athletics & Recreation Department Assistant (Secretary III) will provide a wide range of department administrative and secretarial support. The Athletics & Recreation Department Assistant will primarily be responsible for overseeing day to day athletics office operations in addition to maintaining records and acting as the primary department point of contact.
Responsibilities & Essential Functions:
- Provide diplomatic customer service, serve as the department point of contact, respond to internal and external inquiries.
- Provide administrative support to department staff.
- Process all department vouchers and purchase requisitions; track invoices and payments through the internal Finance Enterprise purchasing system.
- Manage department budget spreadsheet by entering all expenses and ensuring remaining balances match actual budget balances frequently.
- Service all external product, service and travel vendors.
- Work closely with department staff to coordinate and make arrangements for all department travel needs including ground/train/air, lodging, meals, entry forms / fees, tournament expenses etc.
- Disseminate important information and requests to all department staff, especially coaches.
- Provide verbal and written department communications; maintain and update department forms and templates; prepare correspondence, forms and reports as needed.
- Coordinate and compile monthly and annual statistical reports on department activity /facility use by requested deadlines; analyze data to suggest reasons for changing trends when applicable.
- Compile and maintain department master schedules for Athletics and Recreation programs.
- Assist with department-wide personnel action forms and new hire onboarding processes.
- Coordinate and liaise with other college departments specifically regarding joint ventures and processes.
- Work closely with Events Management, Facilities, Campus Security and IT for special event / department meeting space reservation and overall special event implementation.
- Organize and maintain all department records as per the New York State Archives MI-1 record retention schedule; maintain historical comparative data.
- Assist with maintenance of internal compliance records and completion of required trainings / certifications for employees and student-athletes.
- Advise director of anticipated department, athletic team, recreation program, or office needs.
- Assist in implementation of special department initiatives and projects.
- Administrate all annual athletics award ceremony preparations.
- Compile student-athletes national, regional and institution level athletic and academic awards and prepare for presentation at annual athletics awards ceremony.
- Complete required trainings as assigned.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position; other duties may be assigned consistent with the classification of the position.
- High School diploma required.
- 3-5 years of appropriate business experience required.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Strong organizational, communication and customer service skills.
- Exceptional technological skills and mastery of Microsoft Office and Google Workspace cloud based computing, productivity and collaboration tools / software.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple tasks / projects simultaneously.
- Adaptability and creative problem solving.
- Exceptional attention to detail and ability to maintain diplomatic persistence in following up when necessary.
- Mastery of multiple internet based internal software programs and information systems such as Finance Enterprise, Banner and 25 Live preferred.
Please note all offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of the background check process.
Salary: $46,780 per year
The UCE-FIT Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) dictates the compensation, benefits, and conditions of employment. Hiring Salary: $46,780 per year with step increments per Salary Schedule 89, after one year of service and annually thereafter.
Secretary III (CBA)
Days/Hours: M-F, 9am-5pm, in person; work schedule subject to change based on needs of the department.
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) provides comprehensive employee benefit programs designed to help keep our faculty and staff and their families healthy, safe, happy, and productive. Our programs also include a variety of components to help our employees improve the quality and balance of their work and family lives, and to help them prepare for their futures.
- Retirement Plans
- Health, Dental and Vision Plans
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account
- Commuter Benefit Plan
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Personal, Sick and Holidays)
- Summer Fridays
For a full list of FIT benefits, visit our benefits webpage .
Pay Equity by State Employers
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fashion Institute of Technology is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212 217.3360, email@example.com.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Requirements
This position will be required to constantly read and comprehend, occasionally perform calculations, constantly verbally communicate, frequently analyze, and constantly write. The working conditions for this position will be on campus, primarily in an office environment. The physical requirement for this position will require occasional sitting, constant standing, occasional bending, frequent walking, and occasionally lifting 10 lbs. or less.
In order to be considered for the position, you must submit the following documents online:
- Cover letter
- Unofficial transcript or High School diploma
- A list of three references with telephone numbers and email addresses
Returning Applicants - Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to check your submitted application material.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding his or her application status.
For more information about FIT, please visit FIT's website at: http://www.fitnyc.edu .
About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), part of the State University of New York and an internationally renowned college of art, design, business and technology with a strong emphasis on liberal arts, invites nominations and applications for a Department Assistant (Secretary III) in the Athletics and Recreation Department.