Design Assistant/ Junior Designer
We are the women of Sahara. We are unconstrained. Our adventurous spirit leads us beyond the High Street to destinations lesser known. For clothes that mean more. That add to the story of our lives. We are unique. Try and pin us down, it doesn’t work. Label us and it won’t stick. We believe that demographics divide, age is just a state of mind and body type is what each one of us sees in the mirror.
We are leaders. Visionaries in our own right. Creative, passionate - and only ever underestimated once.
What we do
Sahara makes clothes for the free-spirited, independent woman. It's a proudly independent, female-run, family business founded in the 1970s, it has 15 own brand stores and over 150 independent stockists across the UK and abroad.
We are looking for an Assistnat to the Design Team/ Junior Designer to join our Design Team,
The Assistant to the Design Team/ Junior Designer is a pivotal role in the organisation of the muti product Design department which helps to support and facilitate the creativity of the department. It’s an important and a diverse role; one which also requires both excellent organisational, communication and design skills.
As a person, you will naturally be creative with a well-developed sense of colour and an innate love and knowledge of woven and jersey textile fabrics and prints. You will be able to work to tight deadlines within a fast-paced environment and thrive in a busy department with ever changing priorities. With a Design or Textile degree and internship/work experience under your belt or with several years working in a similar fashion field you will be keen to progress in your Design path.
Working within a busy design team, your responsibilities whilst not exhaustive, will include:
- Assisting in the research of trends within Sahara’s market, helping Sahara’s Designers to continue to develop and evolve Sahara’s collections
- Managing and maintaining the archive of past season's best-selling styles and keep records of all fabrics, ensuring the archive is kept well-organised and documented
- Ordering sample fabrics, yarns & trims where required and keeping a record of their costs and lead times
- Liaising between Production, Design, Merchandising and Wholesale departments, feeding back information on product performance and general comments where necessary
- Organising and maintaining records of departmental contacts, including suppliers
- Providing general administration support for the design department on a daily basis
- Organising retail store visits and foreign trips for Designers
- Handover collection to production at the endo of the season.
- Create seasonal line sheets for relevant departments.
- Independently source trims at trade fairs.
- Assisting the Designers with the production of their seasonal colour palettes, helping with print and fabric sourcing
- Art working: using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, work on recolouring and adapting selected prints and colour ways where necessary
- Manage colour standards and lab dips, helping to maintain critical path deadlines
- Managing the entire sampling fabric process in conjunction with the Design team, including packing and sending/receiving fabric rolls
- Setting up & maintaining a fabric database for each season
- Updating and archiving style files and physical samples
- Translating designer sketches & creating specs using Illustrator & Excel and actioning first samples with factories
- Amending samples for wholesale selling
- Design into fabric per season
- Taking notes in fits meetings and actioning second samples with factories
- Creating wall charts of fabric styles to help build the range planning of the collection
- Help with maintaining an archive of Saharas best sellers, season on season.
As a person you will:
- Have a fashion Degree
- Have knowledge of Pattern Cutting and Garment construction
- Have one years’ experience in a fashion Company
- Have excellent working knowledge of Excel, Microsoft, Adobe Illustrator, photoshop InDesign
- Be organised
- Have good communication skills
- Have can-do attitude
- a competitive salary
- a generous holiday allowances
- flexible start and finish times in a friendly office
- discretionary annual bonus, where company performance allows
- access to exclusive perks and discounts via Perkbox
Saharais passionate about working with great people & building inspirational, creative teams. We know how important it is to enjoy your working day, we have beautiful offices with an abundance of natural light. We promote a friendly, non-corporate environment at our HQ; we are passionate and hard-working and enjoy socialising both in and out of the office.