Design Director Backfill
About Clare V.
Founded in 2008 by Clare Vivier, Clare V. is dedicated to making beautiful, chic, functional, and fun products. We make bags, accessories, clothing, and jewelry and are committed to creating a kind, collaborative workplace and building a business committed to positive change. We love to work with smart, talented people from diverse backgrounds. Headquartered in Los Angeles, we currently have 12 retail stores nationally.
Clare V. is currently seeking a Design Director (backfill) from the end of November 2023 through early March 2024.
- Responsible for incorporating the Creative Director’s seasonal design vision, inspiration & palette into our seasonal handbag, SLG and apparel collections
- Partners with heads of PD, Production and Merchandising in creating annual and seasonal calendars and agreeing upon key milestones and deadlines
- Manages handbag and apparel designers in sketching handbag and apparel concepts by delivery
- Directs and oversees new graphics for apparel with Creative Director.
- Leads team in creating tech packs and ensures handoffs to the Product Development team are complete & on calendar
- Works closely with Product Development on co-managing the sample process and timeline for critical market week deadlines.
- Partners with Merchandising, PD & Production in ensuring the team is designing into achievable cost targets; Partners with PD/Production and CV President in setting target development ratios & material adoption rates by category
- Leads Design team on prioritization of current and seasonal initiatives to meet calendar dates
- Works with Merchandising on analyzing prior and current season’s sell through rates by category and style and refining assortment strategy and SKU plans based on data
- Leads seasonal collection presentations, market sample reviews and other key milestone meetings
- Travels to both Domestic and International factories with PD/Production as required to address potential design and development concerns
- Reviews garment fit from design aesthetic perspective and works closely with apparel designer and PD sourcing lead. Attends fit sessions.
- Partners with freelance Jewelry Designer to ensure continuity between our handbag, apparel and costume jewelry collections
Designer (Handbag, SLG, Fleece & Tees, and Accessories)
Designer (Mainline & Collaborations)
- 6+ years’ experience in leading or managing a Design team
- Strategic thinker who can build strong partnerships with internal cross-functional teams
- In depth knowledge of Design processes, current best practices, and development calendar
- Experience in all aspects of design, including sketching, tech packs and construction
- Solid project management, team building, analytical, presentation and communication skills.
- Fiscally responsible. Ability to manage and work within target development ratios and is mindful of material adoption rates (Partnership with PD/Production)
- Domestic production experience a plus
- Excel, Illustrator, Photoshop, WFX PLM
- Ability to travel as needed
- Bachelor of Fine Art degree or equivalent design degree