design director, global retail design
Become a Part of the NIKE, Inc. Team
NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world’s best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At NIKE, Inc. it’s about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
NIKE, Inc. designs the future. At NIKE, Inc. designers chase their curiosities and build what’s next, shaping the culture and advancing human potential. The Design teams include artists, inventors and specialists, all with different focuses, including color and material experts, and apparel, footwear and graphic designers. Nike designers look to the future, aggressively pursuing materials, ideas and forms that further elevate the athlete experience, raise the bar for modern style and reduce environmental impact.
The Brand Creative Retail team is the Catalyst for Retail Innovation. We are creative problem solvers, combining strategy and innovation, we craft physical experiences that connect athletes* to the future of sport and commerce! We are end-to-end agile teams that modernize and power a creative offense at the speed of sport, culture and consumer. We will deliver both the art and science of Nike Retail for Global. Our mission is to amplify and accelerate our retail experiences and storytelling advantage at every retail interaction!
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Nike seeks a Design Director for Retail Design: An innovator, who will support and develop seasonal creative direction for Nike’s Global Direct retail ecosystem, with online to offline connection. A strategic, collaborative and creative team leader, who will develop impactful / scalable design solutions for immersive retail environments and experiences. Always looking to expand the possibilities of immersive environments to build design solutions that reflect Nike’s design ethos and improve the consumer retail experience. You have a track record of innovative use of emerging technology to build impactful spaces, consumer engagement and interaction. You work across several design subject areas such as Environmental Graphic Design, Fixtures, Materials and Digital with ease and ideate creative concepts, illustrate your ideas and be hands on, as you lead projects to completion.
You will work across multiple projects, partnering closely with the Global Brand Creative Defining and Construct studio team and agency partners to deliver highly innovative and immersive concepts and experiences. You will deliver comprehensive design concepts, stay tapped into the pulse of future design trends and apply this thinking to your work, growing the possibilities of immersive storytelling and experiences. We are looking for someone who shares our drive and agility to explore the new; who is passionate and determined to create boundary-breaking experiences. Ultimately, you will help push the Seasonal Story team into a new era of design thinking.
WHAT YOU WILL WORK ON
- Supports and partners with Global Retail Design Sr Creative Director to lead seasonal vision, strategic and tactical direction, and design continuity.
- Lead a design process of clear ideation. Focusing on strategy and exploration of color, materiality, texture, spacing, proportion, scale and use of the environment.
- Ensures project goals and priorities align with Nike retail brand and business strategies.
- Inspire a studio that is constantly seek new and innovative ways to design consumer experiences through graphics, styling, photography, and digital mediums.
- Directs the development of presentation materials that effectively communicate design concepts to all levels of leadership and partners.
- Collaborate with peers, design counterparts, internal partners (Brand, Retail Brand, Brand Creative, Digital, Brand Comms etc.) and external partners to ensure feasibility of designs and functional needs are met.
- Actively gain knowledge and experience regarding Nike’s design ethos, the Nike matrix, products and processes.
- Drives education and inspiration, sharing knowledge and exposure to current and future trends influencing the innovation of consumer experiences and use of technology.
- Addresses staffing needs and challenges to ensure project demands are met, team has appropriate skill mix. Working across project teams and retail design org in partnership with Creative Director.
- Manages functional design professionals. Coaches, creates opportunities for individual development, performance management, recognition and rewards. Fosters innovative thinking, collaboration, and teamwork.
- Communicates and presents design concepts to all levels of management. Strong ability to work upstream, effectively elevate strategic concerns, assert influence in final outcomes.
- You may travel 10 – 20% of the time.
WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
Under the direction of a Sr. Creative Director, and in partnership with Director level peers, you will lead and develop small design teams to realize innovative, original retail environments, displays and digital solutions for retail stores. This role provides leadership development and design direction to junior level designers, and collaborates with internal and external teams.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Bachelors/master’s degree in graphic design, architecture, industrial, or environmental design, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 10+ years of progressive, technically sophisticated design experience in architectural, experiential or brand design and a demonstrated ability to apply these skills in ways that elevate brand excellence.
- Demonstrated proficiency in managing a design studio with progressively complex projects of scale, budget, and size.
- Ability to contribute meaningfully to the determination of policy and strategy.
- Proven track record of motivating teams, managing ambiguity, and effectively collaborating in decision-making.
- Proven expert in applying and performing design skills, including concepting, drawing/sketching, typography, ideation, color theory, texture, and spatial design in scale, visual presentation development and space planning layouts.
- Ability to work independently as well as guide teams across a mix of complex projects.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to current trends in color, design, art, photography and experience design and their application to the athletic industry.
- Expert oral and written communication and presentations skills, including meeting facilitation and presentations to senior management.
- Ability to work cooperatively across teams and territories to share ideas and develop effective responses in a constantly evolving, high-growth environment.
- Positivity and eagerness to do great work in a team environment
- Demonstrated expertise using computer design applications including SketchUp, Rhino, Grasshopper, V-Ray, and Adobe Creative Suite.
NIKE, Inc. is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Nike offers a generous total rewards package, casual work environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location, or the role, every Nike employee shares one galvanizing mission: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.
NIKE, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.