Job descriptionJob Title:
Design Manager (Store Design)
Reports To:Head of Store Design- New Concepts & Projects
Team:Planning & Space
Job-Type (Full-Time/Part-Time/Fixed Term)Full Time Permanent
Purpose of the Role:
Support the strategic development of the Brand by managing and delivering design solutions, principles and governance to ensure that License and New business service offers land in store aligned to the DNA of Primark retail design, with maximum impact and value.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Identify relevant stakeholders and work cross functionally to establish commercial design briefs and deliverables.
- Define design workstream project timelines based on the requirements of the business, track projects throughout and ensure on time delivery.
- Lead the concept design of fixtures, furniture, departments, New Business offers and license areas for roll out into existing and new stores.
- Ensure all F&F designed internally are EHS (Environmental Health and Safety) approved
- Key interface to the New business team, responsible for overall governance that service offers are delivered with an agreed look and feel appropriate to the practical and aesthetic standards of Primark's retail identity.
- Key interface with the Licence product teams, coordinating and driving the development of design appropriate to the products, budgets, aesthetics and practical requirements of the business.
- Liaise directly with 3rd party service vendors to develop their designs to be suitable both practically and aesthetically for Primark's retail environment
- Liaise with license partners directly and represent Primark appropriately to develop designs to suit external brand guidelines as required
- Consult and advise the NBD team on the creation of briefing packs are created for construction/ small works to create budgets
- Create presentations to gain sign off, also be able to brief and manage agencies as required.
- Have full cognizance of Primark's retail DNA and fixtures and support its appropriate evolution through new retail design.
- Maintain a working knowledge of long term 2D assets and POS usage, collaborating with Brand and product Business partners to develop new tools where required.
- Create budget application packs and present as required.
- Attend site, factory and supplier meetings globally as required
- Develop guidelines and presentations to support the planning, manufacture and roll out of new designs, upskilling internal and external teams as required
- Define, track and manage project design budgets (R&D) form concept design through to prototyping/piloting
- Be cost conscious through-out all projects, reducing capex cost where possible through management of external resources and value engineering of designs, without reducing quality below acceptable levels
Key Interactions and engagement as part of role:
- Regular interface and engagement with Head of Store Design, Space optimisation team, Visual Merchandising Team, Product Business Partners, License team, New business development team Construction and Small works teams.
Skills & Experience:
Essential knowledge, education, skills and experience:
- A Degree in Design, or minimum 5 years of relevant experience in retail design
- Proficiency in AutoCAD / Sketchup, Office and Adobe applications is preferential
- Familiarity with other 3D modelling software is beneficial
- Must have a high level of design skills
- Ability to sketch and hand draw is an advantage
- Knowledge of manufacturing standards, materials and construction methods
- Strong analytical skills, attention to detail, ability to trouble shoot during the course of a project
- Strong organisational skills with a can-do attitude and excellent attention to detail
- Ability to lead projects and drive complex working groups, working well as part of a team and independently.
- Proven ability in managing sensitive matters whilst ensuring all Primark information remains
- confidential to the business.
- Must be able to work well under tight deadlines and able to reprioritise efficiently
- Self-starter able to work under own initiative, taking projects from start to finish
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Highly organised, detail-oriented, possessing the ability to effectively prioritise projects and deliverables whilst meeting deadlines set by management.
- Excellent planning and organisation skills, ability to multi-task, plan and prioritise work schedule for self and team and work within agreed timescales.
- Excellent attention to detail and an ability to analyse and interrogate high volumes of data as well as demonstrating an ability to focus on both Macro and Micro project requirements
- Proven ability in managing sensitive matters whilst ensuring all Primark information remains confidential to the business.
- Be a collaborative team player with excellent interpersonal/communication skills, while demonstrating high levels of emotional intelligence and possess the ability to push back with professionalism. Proven ability in developing effective working relationships across all levels of the organisation.
- Operates with a high level of integrity, diplomacy, tact and professionalism.
- Effective and persuasive presentation skills, including the ability to present complex information in an understandable manner to all areas of the business.
- Ability to lead, influence and coach others
- Sound judgement, unquestionable ethics and integrity with high degree of transparency and trust
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status