Job descriptionDesign Manager
Selfridges has always been much more than a shop. We're a social space where everyone is welcome and feels a sense of belonging, a creative playground where culture and commerce collide, and an experimental hub where you can discover the most innovative and sustainable ideas in retail. We're here to help make the world brighter. And you can be an important part of this. We'll talk more about the role below, but before we get to that, let's share with you the good stuff...
Rewards and benefits
Life at Selfridges is dynamic, exciting, and always evolving. As well as working with some of the most cutting-edge, iconic and boundary-pushing brands, designers and creatives, we also offer our team members opportunities to help make a positive difference through our network of communities, both within and outside Selfridges. Here are just a few of our rewards and benefits that help make our team experience that bit more extraordinary.
- Flexible working options to benefit you, your family and your wellbeing that can include part-time, flexi-time, job sharing or hybrid working
- Generous annual leave that increases with length of service
- Up to five paid volunteering days - from beach cleans to co-ordinating food and clothing donations
- Family leave that suits your set up including Maternity, Paternity, Adoption, Surrogacy and Shared Parental leave policies
- Defined pension contribution scheme
- Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
- Enviable team member discount including sale previews and double discount days
- Exclusive local discounts on a range of restaurants, bars, beauticians and entertainment
- Subsidised gym memberships
- Annual travel pass and cycle-to-work schemes
- A sustainable car salary sacrifice scheme
- Several internal communities to get involved in from our Diversity Board and Green Warriors who are leading the charge on D,E&I and sustainability, to the Wellbeings who are always thinking of new ways to champion healthy minds, bodies and routines for our team members
- Workplace Options, our confidential team member assistance programme for when life gets tricky or you need a little guidance
- Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development
Read on to find out how you can play your part in Reinventing Retail...
We are looking for an exceptional Design Manager, to lead and develop Selfridges creative. Based in our London office and reporting into the Senior Design manager and Head of Design and Production, within the wider Selfridges Multimedia team.
The Design manager will support the design team to concept and deliver innovative and cutting-edge creative across in store and all channels. We are looking for a highly talented individual, tuned into the latest creative and cultural movements with a broad skillset and strong aesthetic to bring Selfridges unique brand personality to life through their creative concepts.
You will support the Senior Design manager and Head of Design and Production in defining, developing and executing the Selfridges Brand and campaign design, across multiple touchpoints. Working collaboratively across teams you will develop and create a bench-mark setting brand - with a strong fashion-led and user centric aesthetic - to bring Selfridges unique personality to life.
- Continue to build Selfridges creative reputation through innovative, highly creative graphic design.
- Ensure consistency of creative/brand message across multiple channels.
- Work with and present to internal clients to develop a creative response to the given brief within budget and time frames agreed with the Head of Production and Head of Design.
- Creatively direct design team, review their work in preparation for presentation to Head of Design, ensuring delivery of work on time for all internal/external presentations.
- Work closely with Head of Design and Production, Digital and social, to ensure all scheme and content graphics are consistent from .com to instore.
- Alongside the studio manager, manage project workflow through the studio, ensuring a fair distribution of work amongst the team and delivery of work on time and within budget.
- Present work at both internal and external stakeholder meetings.
- Ensure attendance by a design representative at all 'scheme/campaign' steering meetings ensuring that representative further cascades all information from these meetings to the wider team, including when applicable the production team.
- Present work at Director/Board Level where appropriate.
- Art direct external photographic shoots / 3D motion design
- Work with the Senior Design manager and Studio manager to develop timelines for projects briefed into the studio.
- Work with the Production manager to develop relationships with external suppliers to understand the print production process and how these processes affect the creative proposal.
- Manage your own time, prioritising workload to meet project deadlines as outlined in the initial brief.
- Continually review ways to improve communication and efficiencies across all areas of the design process.
- Work with Senior Design manager and Head of Design and Production and external consultancies to achieve effective implementation of external creative solutions across store environment / platforms when applicable.
- Develop brand guideline and templates to make the studio more efficient
- You will be supporting the Senior Design manager and Head of Design and Production to redefine design language and evolve our brand into a bench-mark setting design leader.
- You have the ability to navigate your team through a complex and fast-paced environment
- Commercially astute. You will be attuned to both the Selfridges brand, its competitors, and the wider retail landscape of fashion, culture and digital.
- You are able to translate strategic creative ideas into commercial objectives, and support the Head of Design to drive change in a big organisation, with equal emphasis on process and outcome
- Culturally connected. With a passion for design and a genuine interest in contemporary culture and what's happening now and next. Your work must speak to the zeitgeist and be able to contribute to both the design and wider cultural conversation
- Proven background in designing high-quality work for premium brands with a strong visual portfolio. Interactive design work is desirable but not essential.
- A great communicator. You have excellent influencing and negotiating skills, whilst building professional, lasting relationships at all levels
- An example of our values, a trusted and respected colleague .
- Mac literate - Adobe Creative Suite, Keynote / Power point / Microsoft word / sharepoint.
- Advanced knowledge of the print/production process.
- Digital 3D motion knowledge.
- Strong typographic skills
- Confident in a meeting situation.
- Presenting work up to Board Level.
- Creative and strategic thinker.
- Organised and efficient.
- Great communication and interpersonal skills.
- Clear understanding of the Selfridges brand and values
- Team player.
- Energy and drive.
- Strong 'eye for detail'.
- Manage heavy work load, multi-tasking, juggling numerous projects at any one time.
- Calm within busy environment.
- Great stakeholder management
Are you looking for a new challenge that gives you the chance to get creative and use your knowledge of Brand and Campaign design to bring the Selfridges unique personality to life? Looking for a company that wants to help further your career as well as provide you with an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work?
If the answer to all of these questions is 'yes' then you're just the kind of person we're looking for!
About the Company
Everyone is welcome
Selfridges is a place where we want everyone to feel a sense of belonging. We embrace every self and are committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive working culture. We are leading with purpose to not only increase the visibility and recognition of under-represented talent within our organisation, but the wider industry too. Here at Selfridges, everyone is welcome - irrespective of race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, age or disability, we stand by equal opportunities for all.
Our awards cabinet
We're not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World's Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign. We were also recognised as a 'Best 25 Big Company to Work For 2020' as awarded by The Sunday Times.