Design Manager - Men's Outerwear
Job descriptionOUTGROWN YOUR OWN BACKYARD? COME PLAY IN OURS.
At Columbia, we're as passionate about the outdoors as you are. And while our gear is available worldwide, we're proud to be based in the Pacific Northwest, where natural wonders are our playground.
Every product we make and every task we undertake is inspired by the famous words of our founder Gert Boyle: "It's perfect. Now make it better." As pioneers of relentless improvement, we are constantly evolving.
We believe the outdoors is ours to protect and strive to keep our planet healthy. We believe in empowering people to experience the outdoors to the fullest.
And we believe in you.
ABOUT THE POSITION
As the Men's Outerwear Design Manager, you will lead and inspire by showcasing your design skills to create original, function-led, innovative solutions that reflect Columbia Sportswear's design ethos that will connect the consumer to their outdoor passions. We are looking for someone who has a passion for design with innovative solutions, a strong creative point of view, proven design concept ideation, exemplary presentation skills, and a collaborative mindset. In this role you will manage one other Men's team member and collaborate with the Women's team through the ideation of seasonal product and drive the brand into new market opportunities.
HOW YOU'LL MAKE A DIFFERENCE
- Provides sketches and line art to communicate solution-driven design concepts, including multiple views and detail sketches as necessary; sketches are created with the consumer needs in mind and push the brand forward.
- Leads design team in discussions around design & concept direction to communicate seasonal direction as well as champions new technologies and innovative stories to take risks in design.
- Communicates clearly and concisely, ensuring key stakeholders are informed and included in decision-making as part of productive working relationships.
- Participates in prototype process for the Men's Outerwear category and actively participates in fit sessions and categorical team meetings to facilitate process, revisions, and finalization of products.
- Maintains high level of knowledge in materials, textiles, components and technologies in the marketplace and consistent ability to create new models for enhancing product category.
- Contributes to the market research conversation to drive trend direction ensuring understanding of our target consumer and developing new ways to attract them.
- Manage a team of 1-2 employees.
- Able to identify and resolve day-to-day technical and operational problems and lead the team in solving complex problems that impact cross functional & cross discipline apparel creation teams.
- Drive and lead open lines of communication with cross functional partners.
- Solutions oriented and able to conduct complex interpersonal interactions in a productive and collaborative manner.
- Bachelor's degree, applicable certification, or equivalent experience.
- 8+ years of professional design experience and mastery of relevant technical and business skills associated with the apparel industry.
- Experience with Technical Outerwear design experience is a must and within the outdoor industry is a plus.
- Specialized knowledge and expertise in Outerwear apparel design theories and can apply in-depth understanding of apparel industry standards/practices and efficient implementation methods to key projects and initiatives.
- Experience with Adobe Illustrator.
- A high level of business acumen and strong 'big picture' understanding of the business with the ability to design and guide other designers to build product that represent the goals of the company.
To learn more about our hiring process during COVID-19, click here.
Columbia Sportswear Company and our portfolio of brands, including Columbia, SOREL, Mountain Hardwear and prAna, know a thing or two about adventures. After all, we've been on one since 1938, working to perfect the art of enjoying the outdoors. Behind everything we make is an employee who's found that the greatest adventure starts with joining a company that strives to do the right thing.
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position's scope and function in the company.
At Columbia Sportswear Company (CSC), we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. CSC believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a global company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.