Who We Are:
Founded in 2009, Reformation is a revolutionary lifestyle brand that proves fashion and sustainability can coexist. We combine stylish, vintage-inspired designs with sustainable practices, releasing limited-edition collections for individuals who want to look beautiful and live sustainably. Setting an example for the industry, Reformation remains at the forefront of innovation in sustainable fashion—running the first sustainable factory in Los Angeles, using deadstock and eco fabrics, tracking and sharing the environmental impact of every product, and investing in the people who make this revolution possible. The brand has also established itself as a pioneer in retail innovation, developing an in-store tech concept that brings the best of its online experience to its physical doors.
We are a future focused organization committed to the belief that the problems facing our planet and society can be solved through innovation, common sense and education. Being naked is the #1 most sustainable option. We're #2.
Here at Ref, we put people first. We know that you can't innovate and do cool stuff without having everyone on board. So we work to create a culture where everyone feels like they belong and where their voices are truly valued. We build an inclusive culture together and make a real impact along the way.
Reformation is a mission-based company that is fast-growing and is redefining fashion. We make killer clothes that don’t kill the environment and want our garments’ impact on the planet to be as low as possible. After all, there’s nothing less sexy than leaving a big nasty mess.
Reformation has an exciting opportunity for a Designer to be part of our in-house design team. As a Designer at Ref you will be working to ensure we are first in identifying emerging trends, and translating those into wearable designs our customers will love and believe in. You will work closely with the Merchandising, Product Development, and Technical Design teams to ensure you capture the season’s must-have pieces to excite and delight the customer.
This role is open to being based in Los Angeles and New York.
What you’ll do:
- Partner with the Design Director and Buyers to understand the vision and direction of the brand
- Monitor macro trends and translate them to the Ref aesthetic. Own trend forecasting for your categories determining which trends to test and invest in.
- Interpret key trends into commercial designs
- Identify key silhouettes, fabrics and trims that are relevant to the Reformation customer
- Oversee fabric and trim sourcing for your categories in order to continually elevate the product. Learn the Reformation sustainable fabric guidelines and ensure sourcing is in line with the broader sustainability goals.
- Gather & use relevant internal and external information to drive product and range development for the customer
- Own all sketching - new and chase- for your categories.
- Develop all tech packs for your designs and work closely with product development and tech design to translate the sketches into products.
- Attend fittings and work with Tech Design and Product Development to fit samples and release to production. Maintain both a design and quality perspective when fitting.
- Collaborate with your Merchandising partners to build product strategies that support category growth goals on a quarterly and annual basis.
- Operate within the constraints of the production calendar ensuring you hit all deadlines.
What you’ll need:
- 5+ years experience of apparel design experience
- Appetite for design influences and strong eye
- Relevant contemporary experience with an appreciation of fabric, trims
- Strong understanding of fabrics, both woven & knit
- Strong understanding of garment fit, construction, and garment finishings
- Knowledge of CAD
- Ability to create and complete tech packs
- Experience working with domestic and overseas factories/suppliers is beneficial
- Ability to work under own initiative
- Commercial acumen
- Strong communication skills and the ability to communicate confidently
- Ability to work under pressure and on tight deadlines
- Ability to juggle many different tasks and prioritize workload appropriately
- Good teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Strong enthusiasm for Reformation as a brand
- Genuine passion for Sustainability
Benefits & Perks:
- Health, vision, and dental insurance for eligible employees
- Paid vacation, sick, holidays & volunteer time-off for eligible employees
- Mission based company + casual and entrepreneurial work environment
- Clothing discount, dog-friendly office, company events + parties and much more
- 401K with company match
To apply for this position please submit your resume and cover letter along with the project below:
Take this online Color Test and send a screenshot of the results page
Create a mood board of Fall 2024 key apparel trends relevant to Reformation. Sketch 5 key apparel pieces relevant to Reformation using your mood board images.