VENUS is a leading women’s fashion brand offering clothing, fashionwear and lingeriein sizes 2-24. Founded in 1984 and headquartered in Jacksonville, Florida, VENUS’ unique products inspireFun. Sexy. Style.and help our customers to make an impression in every moment of their lives.
This role is an opportunity to join a growing organization with transparent leadership and to work in an innovative environment with other passionate and hard-working people. Sustainability, diversity and inclusion are core values of our brand and are central to the company’s engaging culture. If you would like to be part of our inclusive, forward-thinking and collaborative team, we encourage you to apply today!
The Ready to Wear Designer is responsible in partnership with the Director of Design for originating designs for the apparel collection and related products, specifying color, fabric, pattern and silhouettes. The Ready to Wear designer will also select fabric, color, and trims, and relate them to the product design, function and silhouette with a close partnership with the merchandising teams.
- Responsible for product aesthetic, seasonal concept direction, product strategy.
- Builds and creates mood boards to establish and communicate key looks, trends, concepts, color, fabric, trim and silhouette direction (or delegating to assistant).
- Works with leader(s) of Ready to Wear team & Ready to Wear Merchants to ensure viability of products and product opportunity fills the need within the assortment.
- Creates design cards for hand off to factory partners and lead best practices in this area.
- Works with print and pattern vendors to establish print direction.
- Selects fabrics for hand, drape, and performance to ensure that margin and target price is met.
- Utilizes color and trend services to establish seasonal trends.
- Market Research on aesthetic inspiration and trend
- Researches and develops brand appropriate trends and product ideas.
- Present sketches and proto samples at appropriate check-ins and meetings.
- Create and update accurate pre-production BOM for all products.
- Pitches colors for prints to ensure a cohesive presentation and pallet
- Approve bulk fabrics and prints, ensuring commercially acceptable matching within the mix and match fashion program.
- Ensure robust hand off of designs to Technical Design including the ability to communicate effectively changes and fit issues.
- Ensure all milestones are achieved and successful. Aligns on key business strategies, initiatives and actions.
- Proactively manages sample and travel budget.
- Establish costs for garments produced in-house as needed.
- May lead, mentor and coach others
- Domestic and international travel required to perform design inspiration or research, work with vendors and suppliers, and attend trade shows, as dictated by the needs of the business.
- Demonstrates a passion for the brand.
- Actively participates and contributes to IDO sessions.
- Ensure timelines and deadlines are met.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Hand sketching, drawing, illustrating ideas digitally and on paper.
- Passion for fashion; must have a deep love and enjoyment of all things fashion
- Ability to illustrate ideas from paper to physical product.
- Strong, in-depth knowledge and understanding of fabrics.
- Strong understanding of garment fit and technical understanding.
- The ability to design garments that are brand appropriate, regardless of personal likes or dislikes.
- Have an eye for color and ability to differentiate subtle shade differences
- Have an eye for fashion and interpret trend information as it pertains to the Venus Brand.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot production or construction issues with Technical Designers.
- Demonstrated ability to understand garment costs.
- Strong ability to maximize quality and profit by fostering a collaborative approach when dealing with vendors and suppliers.
- Ability to translate the big picture into clear, compelling goals and expected outcomes.
- Produces excellent presentation material that enhances ability of audience to understand and act upon information.
- Proactively leverages communications to keep others informed.
- Proficiency in computer aided design and Adobe Suite
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and time management capabilities.
- Ability to multi-task and delegate duties.
- Willingness to assist as needed in the department.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Design/Fashion Merchandising, with 6+ years’ experience in Design.
- Experience working for a women’s fashionwear brand.
- Experience leading direct reports.