Designer (Hard Wovens & Outerwear)
Meet the Owned Brand division of REVOLVE:
REVOLVE is the next-generation fashion retailer for millennial and Generation Z consumers. As a trusted, premium lifestyle brand and a go-to source for discovery and inspiration, REVOLVE delivers an engaging customer experience from a vast yet curated offering of over 45,000 products. Founded in Los Angeles in 2003 by co-CEOs, Michael Mente and Mike Karanikolas, REVOLVE’s family of brands includes their luxury offering, FORWARD, and a portfolio of 24 owned brands such as Lovers + Friends, Tularosa, NBD and RAYE.
The Owned Brand division within REVOLVE is an industry-leading fashion design and production house based in Los Angeles. Leveraging the power of REVOLVE’s data driven merchandising, combined with raw creative talent results in an unparalleled ability to identify a specific market niches, developing brands that each have their own identity, designed with a distinct consumer interest and personality in mind.
At REVOLVE the most successful team members have the thirst and creativity to redefine fashion retail for the 21st century, making REVOLVE the leading online retail destination targeted towards Millennial and Generation Z consumers seeking premium fashion. With a team of 1,000 strong, we are a dynamic bunch that are motivated by getting the company to the next level. It’s our goal to hire high-energy, diverse, bright, creative, and flexible individuals who thrive in a fast-paced work environment. In return, we promise to keep REVOLVE a company where inspired people will always thrive.
To take a behind the scenes look at the REVOLVE “corporate” lifestyle check out our Instagram @REVOLVEcareers or #lifeatrevolve.
Are you ready to set the standard for Premium apparel?
Main purpose of the position:
This is a permanent full time role for a candidate who is driven by on-trend design and concept. This position will report to the Design Director to lead the design for multiple labels. This position will source, research, develop trends, tech pack, and execute on-trend styles on a seasonal basis. The person in this role will work closely with vendors and cross-functional teams in developing product that caters to the Revolve customer. The Designer will also work effectively with cross functional partners to ensure product integrity and fit consistency. This position requires an out of the box thinker who can collaborate with the existing team, outside vendors, and across all levels of the organization.
Position responsibilities and daily tasks:
- Expertise and experience in Outerwear + Tailoring - i/e development, fit, construction, fabrication
- Lead on the overall sketch creation with direction from the Design Director for theContemporary Segment, including brands such as: L'Academie, Eaves and Song of Style
- Exemplary aesthetic with superior skills in hand sketching, CAD illustration, and design capabilities
- Must have an eye for forward and elevated design with strong understanding of the Revolve customer and wear-ability. Designer must be able to translate that in execution as well as an ability to lead, manage, and grow junior designers.
- Develop technical flats and design sheets for each collection, utilizing the knowledge of brand vision
- Oversee the concept development through studying sales data and trend research
- Collaborate with multiple brands to ensure a cohesive concept for each season which includes close partnership with the Design Director
- Conceptualize and create compelling product for all monthly deliveries specific to Revolve’s“Contemporary Segment”. This means product is key item focused, wardrobe essentials, multiple end-use product for day to evening with polish and ease that lends itself specific to Revolve’s designer driven customers.
- Engage in all aspects of design process from development through production (including but not limited to sketching, swatch development, quality development, and fittings)
- Provide specific direction given from the Design Director and Buyers, while also collaborating with cross-functional team members to build brand specific product that supports Revolve’s financial and merchandising strategies
- Attend fittings and provide effective feedback which includes potentially changing sketches as necessary. Must have an intermediate understanding of construction and garment finishings. Must oversee and ensure all junior design members are maintaining a high standard of construction and designing appropriately and effectively into given fabrics approved by Design Directors. Designers should be able to offer suggestions and solutions for trouble shooting any construction or fabrication mishaps.
- Identify key seasonal trends and drive all corresponding development with overseas vendors
- Engage with the Tech Design and Production team to ensure fit intent and consistency
- Review development samples for approval
- Ensure all calendar deadlines and productivity targets are being met
- Facilitate deep integration to ensure alignment with the Buying team in order to craft a unique product mix
- Research and analyze industry trends, shapes, market competition for materials, colors, etc.
- Cultivate, interview, train and manage junior members which includes providing strategic and aesthetic guidance
- Travel overseas as needed
- Complete ad-hoc tasks and assignments as directed by management
What does a candidate need to demonstrate to perform this job successfully:
- Prior experience in effectively leading and managing others
- Exemplary aesthetic and taste which lends itself to Revolve’s customers
- Excellent ability to understand all stages of the design development process
- Intermediate knowledge of garment development process, fabrics, patterns and construction
- Intermediate knowledge of target specs and POMs
- Intermediate sketching and CAD ability
- Strong creative ability that will translate forecast trends in relation to brand’s customer
- Experience working closely with various cross-functional departments
- Strong ability to lead, manage and train multiple levels of designers and multiple brands
- Advanced communication skills
- Advanced analytical and decision making skills
- Proactive, self-motivated, advanced knowledge of how to delegate and still meet deadlines with & get it done attitude
- Must have contemporary experience and have worked in a fast pace environment
- Must be able to effectively communicate ideas and have a “big picture” understanding
- Ability to work under pressure in an environment of constant shifting priorities and change
- Ability to manage workload and people effectively
- Must have a high sense of urgency, punctuality and timeliness
- Must have a flexible personality willing to take direction and change as business needs change/grow
- Must be able to thrive in a fast paced environment and short lead calendar (5 months)
- Must be able and willing to lift and carry up to 10 lbs., perform frequent repetitive finger, hand and wrist motions, as well as bending, stooping, reaching, squatting, kneeling, pushing, and pulling
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time
Minimum candidate qualifications (years of experience, education level, technical skills, software, etc):
- Degree in Apparel Manufacturing, Product Development or Apparel Design related field
- 7-8+ years work experience in Design
- In depth knowledge of textiles, materials, construction and fit
- Computer sketching using CAD skills including Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop, hand sketching, flat sketching
- Experience developing tech packs
- Strong hand illustration skills
- Advanced computer skills including experience using Microsoft suite, Adobe suite and Google suit applications
- Preferred qualifications (years of experience, education level, technical skills, software, etc)
- Experience at luxury or contemporary brand
- Experience leading a team and/or multiple categories