Designer I, Specialty Concept Footwear Design
At Brooks, we believe a run can change a day, a life, the world. Everyone who works here is a key part of our obsession to make the best running gear on the planet. We want our business — which also happens to be our passion — to be a place where everyone feels welcome and comfortable being themselves. Our company culture defines us, bonds us together, and drives our success. We live this culture daily through our brand values: Runner First, Word is Bond, Champion Heart, There is no “I” in Run, and Keep Moving. This means we always solve for the runner, do what we say we will, give it our all, are generous with our humanity, and find a way to keep moving every day, because joy is kinetic.
Are you ready to help create something extraordinary?
Your JobAs a Brooks Running Designer I, Specialty Concept Footwear Design, you will help to create the AESTHETIC READINESS of selected Brooks Running footwear of the Merchandise Runner Assortment (MRA). You will create the perfect balance between an inspiring design that’s driven by a story and the performance of a running shoe. Specialty Concept Footwear Design includes the following categories: Footwear Inline Product Extensions, Event & Collaboration Footwear Products, Special Footwear Make-Ups, and Regional Footwear Make-Ups.
As a Designer I, Specialty Concept Footwear Design, you will continue to develop your specialty design concepts by identifying and executing new material ideas together with the Material Design Group. You are growing your ability to embellish the material with exciting graphic solutions and original textile prints.
As a Designer I, Specialty Concept Footwear Design, you will work closely with the Manager, Specialty Concept Footwear Design, Footwear Merchandising Team, Brand Creative Team, Apparel Graphic Design, and Brand Marketing to identify trends and stories for events, causes, annual celebrations, collaborations, and inline extensions as well as regional special make-ups through branding, color, graphic, material, and finishes to footwear.
As a Designer I Specialty Concept Footwear Design, your role will support and produce a clear design communication to the Footwear Merchandising Team and the Product Development Team. With your experience in designing beautiful footwear, you will play a core role within the footwear design team to ensure that Brooks is the most LOVED brand for runners worldwide.
- Own the design of performance footwear uppers by creating and presenting sketches for specialty concept product based on direction provided by the Merchandize Runner Assortment plan briefs.
- Apply identity principles to maximize perceived value to drive superior aesthetic competitiveness.
- Develop your design POV on storytelling, color, material, textile, finishes, market, and lifestyle trends to grow the appeal of Brooks Running footwear.
- Stay current in the athletic footwear market, different category trends, and product design innovations across the global network
- Create and manipulate original textile prints on shell patterns and footwear tech packs to connect with our creative foundation CRAFTED BEAUTY.
- Present trend, color palette, and textile graphics at concept debut
- Create regional color renderings of specialty concept footwear for review and presentation.
- Ensure Pantone and CSI colors are handed off to Development for each color included in the season to development
- Refine your ability to proactively follow through on the execution of color/print for each product.
- Seek out mentorship from more tenured Designers.
- Respond to design critique with multiple design solutions.
- TEAM COLLABORATION
- Partner within a product creation team on a wide range of projects and products.
- Become a point person for your Specialty Concepts projects using your color knowledge to create unique color palettes differentiated from in-line and execute original print/patterns for footwear placement.
- Collaborate with Design, Product Marketing, Development, and Material Designers to focus on color and print/pattern solutions for success in the market.
- Participate in meetings with the 3D CAD Design Team to ensure a constant flow of information.
- Partner with more senior designers to collaborate with the Material Design Group and Product Assessment to ensure new specialty concept footwear material selection meets our fit, feel, and ride quality standards.
- Participate with Apparel Graphic Design to collaborate on head-to-toe product execution within specialty concepts of MRA’s.
- Assist sales reps with any color and trend needs throughout the season.
- Be a trusted partner to the development teams in Asia and our oversea production sites.
- Maintain calendar/timelines/deadlines that result in timely completion of each product and/or collection
- Use your developing design knowledge to partner with your product teams.
- Answer critique with a curious mindset – propose alternative options after more design exploration.
- Continue to grow your understanding of the design jet stream to keep informed on what’s trending and how this may influence our design.
- Travel as necessary to Asia, Europe, trade shows, races, retailers, or other external events.
- 4-year college or university degree in industrial, graphics, apparel, or footwear design, an equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be substituted for a degree
- 3+ years of experience creating color/material/textile programs and future vision in a retail/manufacturing environment.
- Thorough knowledge of art and design with a clear understanding of visual design or any design-related environment
- Proven experience creating and leading the execution of vision and strategy
- Ability to understand design concepts and think conceptually
- Ability to understand design conceptually across product categories
- Ability to create designs that meet category needs and commercial opportunities
- Ability to operate in a fast pace, ever-changing work environment
- Ability to build and foster relationships in a team environment. This position requires employee to engage with many stakeholders, as well as manage various information and relationships
- Ability and desire to push themselves, others, and the brand forward.
- Ability to influence and collaborate with key business partners
- Keen attention to detail in planning, organization, and execution of tasks (self and through others), while still seeing the big picture and understanding how all the pieces fit together and affect one another.
- Demonstration of innovation and initiative – always looking at improving our products and processes while also displaying a willingness to dive into the details and help wherever necessary.
- Passionate participation in Brooks’ sports activities is a plus, overridden by the ability to understand and empathize with the runner to develop loyal, engaging relationships with our customers and the Brooks community.
- Mastery of Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop
- Competent using Apple Mac Operating system
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Embraces and lives the Brooks values!
- Travel 10% (Domestically/Internationally)