Designer - LOFT Knits
ascena is a leading national specialty retailer offering apparel, shoes, and accessories for women through our brands Ann Taylor, LOFT, and Lou & Grey, Lane Bryant and Cacique. We operate ecommerce websites and over 1200 stores throughout the United States.
Ready to apply? We currently have an opportunity for a Designer - LOFT Knits to join our team located at our Times Square Tower-ANN-New York, NY 10036.
Position OverviewAbout the Position:The Designer executes the design process from conception to final prototype for assigned product(s). Is fully responsible for entire product design process to include market research, mood board creation, designing, sketching, specing and fit. Demonstrates the company's Values & Practices by maintaining effective collaborative relationships, taking pride in the company and brand, and embracing diversity.
Role And Responsibilities
- Researches global, domestic and competitive markets to identify new trends, fabrics and techniques.
- Creates and executes the vision.
- Accountable for departmental financial/sales goals.
- Ensures that product is consistent with market trends while maintaining the brand identity and business strategy.
- Executes silhouette, fit and styling direction.
- Partners with Merchandising team to set seasonal framework and ensure creative ideas and business goals are in tandem.
- Collaborate with Senior Designer/Director on seasonal fabric and yarn direction, working with Product Development on research and development of qualities.
- Maintains daily communication with Merchandising, Product Development, Production and Technical Design teams regarding QA results and development issues.
- Attend all fittings and provide input in the direction of fit.
- Adheres to cross-functional calendar and attends all meetings as required.
- Pre-merchandises the line when designing the season’s collection.
- Must have strong knowledge and understanding of product/client and be able to deduce/make decision based on new information and changing trends.
- People Management: Responsible for the selection, development and retention of team members; Mentors, coaches and counsels direct reports on performance expectations; Provides a positive, challenging work environment; and Recognizes and rewards talent and accomplishments of direct reports.
- Key Collaboration Partners:
- Design team, Merchandising, Product Development, Production, Technical Services, Planning and Store Planning
- Bachelors degree or equivalent in Design
- 4-6 years of Design experience
- Creative and innovative sketching, design and conceptualization skills.
- Ability to design around concepts.
- Outstanding sense of style and color.
- Thorough knowledge of fabrication, silhouettes, color ways, construction techniques and trim.
- Outstanding leadership and managerial skills.
- Ability to build collaborative relationships across departments and divisions.
- Flexible/adaptable in a fast paced environment.
- Highly organized and has capacity to anticipate change based on events.
- Outstanding communication, presentation and persuasion skills.
- Good understanding of merchandising as it relates to sales and store environment.
- Executes to timelines and provides timely solutions.
- Global travel and ability to source European and Asian markets.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Application, Illustrator. Use them daily to perform work.
Times Square Tower-ANN-New York, NY 10036
Position TypeRegular/Full time
Equal Employment OpportunityThe Company is committed to hiring and developing the most qualified people at all levels. It is our policy in all personnel actions to ensure that all associates and potential associates are evaluated on the basis of qualifications and ability without regard to sex (including pregnancy), race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability that can reasonably be accommodated without undue hardship, genetic information, military status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected classification under federal, state, or local law. We do not discriminate in any of our employment policies and practices. All associates are expected to follow these principles in all relationships with other associates, applicants, or others with whom we do business.