Designer (Store Design)
Reports To: Lead Designer
Team: Store Design
Location: Reading, UK
Job-Type: Full Time Permanent
Purpose of the Role:
As Store Designer, you will support the strategic development of the Brand by creating store environment concepts, visuals of these designs & presentation decks. Having a full understanding of global retail trends you will work closely with the Lead Designer to create amazing designs and visuals which bring to life the briefings we receive from through-out the business, providing solutions which are on brand, fit for purpose, meet stakeholder needs & inspiring for customers.
Your role will range from creating initial concepts with sketches, mood boards, research data decks through to full scheme development decks including Visuals of the chosen scheme, presentation decks to demonstrate ideas back to stakeholders & Detailed decks for delivery purposes & helping manage the prototype and pilot store roll-out.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Create designs for all ranges of retail display from individual fixtures through to full department concepts
- Visualise all concepts in appropriate rendering programme for internal presentation and review
- An understanding & knowledge of retail design, store fit out & basic design & build principles.
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of current retail and design trends and competitor initiatives
- Ability to design to a budget and knowledgeable to VE principles.
- Ability to produce presentation decks using PowerPoint and/or InDesign
- Understand product density terminology (linear, skus, sales density etc) to be able to work to briefs and data from Buying and Merchandising teams (not essential)
- An understanding of retail store environment design, fixtures & fittings.
- Knowledge of materials used within the retail design and build industry. In addition, maintain a current knowledge of sustainability and ecology in relation to materials.
- Have full cognizance of Primark's retail DNA and fixtures, to support its evolution through new retail design.
- Full understanding of the design process from briefing to installation
- Manage your diary to ensure on time delivery of all works
- Support briefings and upskilling sessions as required to support the transition of design work from Concept to BAU
- Work in close collaboration with internal teams (Visual Merchandising, Buying & Merchandising Planning) to ensure all designs are mindful of product density, linear requirements, hung to folded ratios
- Work with external agencies and be able to brief them to support as required.
Key Interactions as part of this role:
Reporting to the Lead Designer, this role will work collaboratively across the Store Design team. This role will also regular cross collaboration with Planning & Space team, Construction and Brand teams.
Essential knowledge, education, skills and experience:
- A Degree in Architecture or Design, or minimum 5 years of relevant experience in retail design
- Proficiency in AutoCAD / Sketchup and/or other 3D visualisation software or similar- must be able to produce good quality visuals for visual decks (don't need to be photo realistic)
- Ability to sketch and hand draw is an advantage
- Strong analytical skills, attention to detail, ability to trouble shoot during the course of a project
- Excellent planning and organisation skills, ability to multi-task, plan and prioritise work schedule for self and team and work within agreed timescales
- Experience managing and developing strong and productive working relationships with external agencies
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment, with the ability to remain agile and deliver solutions in the face or unforeseen circumstances and changing business requirements.
- Genuine interest in the fashion industry and passion for the Primark Brand
- Ability to generate enthusiasm in others and understand / balance differing viewpoints from stakeholders.
- Highly organised, detail-oriented, possessing the ability to effectively prioritise projects and deliverables whilst meeting deadlines set by.