Designer - Trend and Design
Support Center - Irving
The Designer - Sourcing is a member of our Trend and Design Team and plays a key role within our integrated Private Brand Team. Responsible for supporting trend direction & artwork, creating product designs, and technical specs for product that supports Michaels private brands. Reports directly to the Manager - Trend and Design and collaborates with cross-functional teams: Product Development, Sourcing, Product Integrity, Buyers, Marketing, etc.
Major ActivitiesTrend Support
- Competitive Market Shopping: Reports trend observations by shopping and navigating both store and online resources to identify new product opportunities.
- Trend Forecasting: Performs monthly analysis with forecasting services and trend sharing with cross-functional teams.
- Trend Guides & Artwork: Contributes toward initial concepts and vision. Creates original artwork to accompany internal trends as needed.
- Concepting & Creative Problem Solving: Participates in trend ideation/brainstorming sessions. Contributes toward new product concepts/updates.
- Lead Category Product Design: Translates conceptual inspiration into product, patterns, icons, and typography to support product assortments. Maintains core category sales knowledge. Responsible for team key calendar and milestone design deliverables.
- Product Category Support: Attends weekly team meetings, presents designs to cross-functional teams, and attends assortment walks as necessary.
- Creates and executes production artwork & technical spec packs for new product concepts.
- Attends sample reviews and provides design execution feedback.
- Team Support & Special Projects
- Provides support on special projects for cross-functional teams: Marketing, Packaging, Product Integrity, and Sourcing.
- Travels domestically to attend tradeshows or competitive shopping.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related design field (product design, graphic design, fine art, fashion, illustration) and/or equivalent experience
- Strong working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign on a Mac Platform
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software
- Ability to create concepts or piece-type renderings through hand/digital sketching
- Ability to create icons, graphics, prints, and repeat patterns
- Ability to create technical spec packs for product design
- 3+ years experience in product design
- Experience with a major retailer, manufacturer, brand, or design firm is a plus
- Experience in arts and crafts, home décor, and seasonal products a plus
- Clear and effective verbal and written communication, along with strong interpersonal skills
- Proactive, professional, and motivated attitude
- Excellent organizational, attention to detail, and time management skills
Michaels Benefits (MIKBenefits.com)
CO, CT, WA and RI only - To review pay ranges for the position you are applying for, please visit Michaels Pay Ranges - CO, CT, WA and RI. (MIKBenefits.com)
For 50 years, Michaels has been the best place for all things creative. We strive to inspire our customers, cultivate confident leaders, and serve our communities by fostering an inclusive environment for everyone to learn, shop, and create. At Michaels, everyone has a seat at our craft table and every Team Member is encouraged to hone their craft with opportunities for personal and professional growth. From our Stores and Distribution Centers to Artistree and our Support Center, our best-in-class team is committed to delivering on our purpose to fuel the joy of creativity. As the leading creative destination in North America, we operate over 1,290 stores in 49 states and Canada and online at Michaels.com and Michaels.ca. The Michaels Companies, Inc. also owns Artistree, a manufacturer of custom and specialty framing merchandise, and MakerPlace by Michaels, a dedicated handmade goods marketplace.
Michaels is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are here for all Team Members and all Makers to create, innovate and be better together. Michaels is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. In keeping with this commitment, Michaels will assure that people with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. Accordingly, if a reasonable accommodation is required to fully participate in the job application or interview process, to perform the essential functions of the job, and/or to receive all other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Customer Care at 1-800-642-4235 (1800-MICHAEL).EEOC Know Your Rights Poster in English
EEOC Know Your Rights Poster in Spanish
EEOC Poster Optimized for Screen Readers
Federal FMLA Poster
Federal EPPAC Poster