Designer, Women's Apparel
DESIGNER – WOMEN’S APPAREL
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR OF MEN’S DESIGN
Boot Barn is where community comes first. We thrive on togetherness, collaboration, and belonging. We build each other up, listen intently, and implement out-of-the-box ideas. We celebrate new innovations, congratulate one another’s achievements, and most importantly support each other.
At Boot Barn, we work together to make a positive impact on the world around us, and by working collectively with encouragement, we consider ourselves “Partners.” With the values of the West guiding us, Boot Barn celebrates heritage, welcomes all, and values each unique Partner within our Boot Barn community.
Our vision is to offer everyone a piece of the American spirit – one handshake at a time.
The Designer – Women’s Apparel drives the ideation and execution of developing product for the women’s apparel areas across multiple brands and categories. Primary responsibility is to refine the trend, vision, translate trends to products, items and assortment opportunities. The Designer – Women’s Apparel will understand the brand strategies and financial goals to ensure that overall product development and direction delivers in-store consumer driven programs that are competitive and differentiated by brand.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Engage in market and sales analysis to get a sense of trends and needs for target consumers.
- Design commercially viable products.
- Create seasonal presentations with trend inspiration, silhouettes, fit, functional features, embroidery, trims, and color palettes.
- Ensure all assortments deliver consistent color, trend, and creative direction across targeted lifestyle to ensure branding positioning and brand equity objectives are intact.
- Research, design and develop raw materials, fabric, print development, graphic design and trim within time and action calendar.
- Create and manage Line Sheets and Tech packs including sketch including multiple views and details, colorways, construction details, and complete bill of materials, distributing tech packs to vendor, factory or agent that can achieve roadmap requirements, IMU and general profitability.
- Actively participate in fit sessions, update sketches, design comments and tech packs promptly with needed revisions.
- Communicate with sourcing partners/factories all details of product utilizing complete Tech Packs, commenting on lab dips, print and graphic, hand looms, strike offs, knit downs while hitting all deadlines in order to adhere to timelines.
- Track all prototypes & pre-production samples utilizing the communicate (WIPs) dates and calendars.
- Partner with Production/Sourcing to ensure fabric, design details, and garments are within cost parameters while providing value to the apparel collection.
- Manage style hand off to Product Manager (hand off final production Tech Packs, files, and approvals).
- Demonstrates high degree of professionalism in communication, attitude and teamwork with customers, peers and management
- Demonstrates high level of quality work, attendance and appearance
- Adheres to all Company Policies & Procedures and Safety Regulations
- Adheres to local, state and federal laws
- Performs any other duties that may be assigned by management
- Understands and complies with all company rules and regulations
- 5+ years’ experience in apparel design
- Ability to filter global trends through the lens of the target customer
- Extensive working knowledge of construction, silhouettes, colorways, print design, patterns, knitting, weaving, fabrication, trims, thread, wash and manufacturing
- Experience in the outdoor industry
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills
- Strong sense of urgency in managing time and accomplishing tasks
- Demonstrates proactive problem solving skills
- Must have basic retail math skills to determine costing, IMU and margins
- Adapts well to changes in the work environment
- Excellent time management skills
- Highly Proficient in Outlook, Microsoft Suite, Adobe Products (Illustrator, Photoshop and PowerPoint)
- Able to establish strong and lasting relationships with vendors and cross functional teams in order to foster an environment of partnership and trust
- Strong background and understanding of new fabric developments in the Outerwear sector
- Experience working with overseas agents and factories
- Quarterly international travel required
Boot Barn Benefits & Additional Compensation Opportunities
- Competitive salary.
- Merchandise discount: 50% off of Exclusive Brands and 40% off of third-party brands.
- Paid Time Off plan for year-round Boot Barn Partners.*
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance.*
- 401(k) plan with generous company matching.
- Flexible schedules and work/life balance.
- Opportunities for growth at every level – we are opening 50+ new stores each year.
*For eligible Boot Barn Partners
PAY RANGE: $80,000.00 - $100,000.00/ Year
*compensation varies based on geography, skills, experience, and tenure
In general, the following physical demands are representative of those that must be met by a Partner to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to allow differently abled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Standing, walking and squatting less than fifty percent of the work shift.
- Required to lift, move and carry up to 20 pounds.
- Ability to read, count and write to accurately complete all documentation and reports.
- Must be able to see, hear and speak in order to communicate with partners and customers.
- Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Manual dexterity required using hands to finger; handle, feel and type; reach with hands and arms.
[ ] Sedentary: Limited activity, no lifting, limited walking
[ X ] Light: Office work, some lifting, bending, stooping or kneeling, walking
[ ] Moderate: Mostly standing, walking, bending, frequent lifting
[ ] Arduous: Heavy lifting, bending, crawling, climbing
In general, the following conditions of the work environment are representative of those that a partner encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to allow differently abled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job within the environment.
- The workspace is clean, orderly, properly lighted and ventilated with the proper safety compliance.
- Noise levels are considered moderate.
Boot Barn, Inc. reserves the right to make exceptions to modify or eliminate this document or its content. This document supersedes all previous policies, procedures or guidelines pertaining to this subject.
Our core value of community bands us together in supportive and inclusive ways to drive our collective success. Boot Barn provides equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national or ethnic origin, veteran or military status, disability, as well as any other protected status under the law.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) - Boot Barn will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required by applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Boot Barn Store or Distribution Center or reach out to Human Resources at 1-949-453-4400, Option 4.
California Privacy Notice