Designer, Women's Wovens
Gap has always been about optimistic American style. Starting with our very first store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco, opened almost 50 years ago by Doris and Don Fisher. The thread that’s run through those five decades is the phenomenal people that make up our brand – our employees and our customers. People who are rooted in the legacy that makes Gap what it is, but who are also focused on the future. People who want to leave the world better than they found it.
We’ve built our brand on staying true to our roots while always being out in front of what’s next. If you want to be part of an iconic American brand, and help lead the way for where we’re headed, we’d love to have you join us.
About the Role
In this role, you will work in an energizing, inclusive, and creative environment focused on concepting and creating sustainable product that exceeds customers' expectations. Your goal is to partner with cross functional team members who collectively are responsible for ensuring that the product style, fit, and quality are more than worth the price for our customers. You will manage the design process from market research and conception through to product design and final styling for your assigned product category. Must lean into risk taking and be customer curious!
What You'll Do
- Research global markets in order to identify new seasonal trends, silhouettes, fabrics, techniques, product categories and competitive inspiration.
- Develop concepts and sketches for product line and advocate for design ideas by presenting to internal leadership and cross functional partners.
- Develop strong internal cross functional relationships with Merchandising, Production, Technical design, Gap Inc Sourcing (GIS), Visual Merchandising and Marketing to ensure product concept to store and site execution is a seamless customer experience
- Influence strategy for product area, providing recommendations regarding seasonal themes and edits to line, ensuring product meets business and customer needs.
- Partner with Production and Tech Design to create tech packs and communicate vision behind fit and product design, ensuring execution, quality, and desired margin targets are achieved.
- Build cross functional partnerships and consensus, identifying sketch callouts and communicating desired fit and aesthetic to cross functional team.
- Responsible for fabric and trim selection.
Who You Are
- Ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic, and highly collaborative environment, with the ability to juggle multiple seasons at one time and track development deadlines
- Possess an elevated sense of style, aesthetic, and color and understand how to translate trends through the lens of the customer and brand filter
- Strong flat sketching skills in Illustrator and/or ProCreate
- Thorough knowledge of silhouette, fit, fabrication, construction, color use, sewing techniques, and trim
- Strong computer knowledge including Adobe Illustrator and Microsoft Excel
- Ability to assess relatively complex situations and analyze data to make judgments and recommend solutions