Designer/Product Developer - Non Apparel
To design and develop products for the Duluth accessories and non apparel line. This position will utilize macro trends, new industry innovations, and customer insights to inform the design process. Self manage own creative process and execute towards the visual language of the brand while sticking to calendar deliverables to ensure all milestones are completed on time. In addition to design, it is imperative in this role to maintain bill of materials, sketches, and all details required with development. This position will maintain and expand upon expert knowledge of market trends through travel and independent research. Within this research, you will then need to design product for our core customer, created product they will love. You will be required to verbally present product ideas and details with clarity, while being a passionate advocate for the products. Ensure efficient process and communication flow between design, sourcing, tech design, and merchandising for all issues regarding the designed products. Ensure proper handover of sketches into development. Main duty is to submit all relevant information needed for the development process such as sketches, detail sketches, fabric and trim indication, artworks, etc. Works closely with technical designers to ensure the product is constructed and functions in way that supports end use. This position will collaborate with sourcing and merchandising teams to support the brand’s financial goals and product calender.
At Duluth Trading Company, we fundamentally believe in strong in-person interactions as our culture thrives when we learn, create, and collaborate with each other. We also believe that the future of work at Duluth Trading Company includes flexibility. The position will be based in our corporate headquarters, near Madison, WI, but it will offer a hybrid work arrangement allowing the flexibility to work a few days a week from home.
What You’ll Do:
- Drive sales and functionality through innovative, solution based product design and development
- Work with cross functional teams to bring those products into the business that follow DTC high standards
- Analyze customer insights, market sales, styles and industry trends and present opportunities for growth
- Research and develop fabrics, trims, textile technologies that adhere to the high performance standards of the DTC brand
- Build, manage and maintain vendor relationships alongside PD to ensure products are produced with the specified quality standards and delivered on time
- Research, analyze and present findings of the competitive marketplace and make recommendations for new product designs and white space opportunities
- Manage seasonal designs and development utilizing corporate development calendar
- Build all relevant seasonal information in PLM software and maintain
- Create product briefs and facilitate photography requests regarding product end use
- Proofread catalog copy and product web pages for accuracy, appropriateness, and compliance
- Facilitate product demonstrations and product videos when needed
- Engagement with various test and trades panels
- Manage relationship alongside tech design to ensure quality and detail
- Bachelor's Degree in Apparel Design or equivelant experience required
- Equivalent work experience will be considered.
- 5+ years experience in designing and/or developing non-apparel + bags
- Highly organized and self-motivated with strong ability to multi-task
- Creative, problem solving mindset, dig into the details
- Experience working closely with cross-functional partners
- Experience communicating with overseas or remote vendors and suppliers
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Mastery level Adobe Illustrator skills
- Expertise in creating detailed tech packs in a PLM system (including: technical callouts, BOM’s, and construction images)
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects from concept to completion with time constraints
- Ability to travel, both domestically and internationally, as needed
- Intermediate Microsoft Office Skills
Compensation: $75,000 to $90,000/Year
Compensation is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
About Duluth Trading Company
Started in 1989, Duluth Trading Company exists to enable hard-working individuals to take on life with their own two hands. Folks that revel in doing it the hard way and celebrate finding a better way. We seek talented individuals who share these beliefs and are excited to further the Duluth Trading legacy with a digital-first mindset, always moving forward and always innovating.
From ingenious Duluth workwear, to comfortably capable Buck Naked Underwear, to outside-embracing AKHG, it’s all about the innovative gear and gadgets that equip customers for a more hands-on way of life.
Top-notch quality, immersive storytelling, outstanding customer service, and the shared belief that the go-all-in-and-dig-deep spirit exists with everyone are what sets Duluth Trading Co. apart. We seek talented folks looking to be part of a can-do team that’s hellbent on helping the world to gear up, get its hands dirty, and do.