Director of Product Design
Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100” most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
About the Team:
Product Designers at RTR are user-centric, collaborative, visionary, and results-driven. We’re strategic thinkers and problem solvers who are always searching for ways to enhance the experience of using Rent the Runway.
About the Job:
In this Director, Product Design role you’ll be overseeing the end-to-end design process across multiple related product squads, acting as a senior independent contributor (IC) on one squad, while managing 1-2 IC product designers staffed to other related squads. The initiatives within your purview will all be focused on sustainably growing the business by enabling a more immediate connection with our product, whether that means inspiring new customers to try RTR by normalizing clothing rental as a behavior, helping customers more easily find inventory that’s perfect for their taste and needs, or enabling existing subscribers to easily share the magic of RTR with friends. Your design work will inspire both your squads and teams across the organization by showing what is possible before it is built.
Outside of project work, as the most senior member of the Product Design team reporting into the Head of Product Design, you will also help to set the long term vision for our product through involvement in company-wide strategic planning initiatives,demonstrate and help set best practices for Product Design at RTR, mentor more junior design team members, take on designops efforts that will help the team function at scale, and help grow the team as needed.
The ideal candidate is a proven leader in UX and UI with a desire to create best-in-class digital experiences and expertise spanning user research, UX strategy, interaction design, animation, and visual design.
What You’ll Do:
- Apply conceptual thinking and creativity to complex design problems for site, app, and email
- Manage 1-2 Product Designers to start, with the opportunity to further grow your team
- Collaborate with peers and cross-functional partners, including product managers, product marketers, writers, engineers, and fellow designers
- Lead UX-focused efforts such as research, user flows, wireframes and user testing in addition to delivering best-in-class final designs
- Create low-fidelity prototypes followed by high-fidelity prototypes, demonstrating first functional thinking and then visual communication
- Create innovative designs that demonstrate brand consistency across all platforms and devices
- Think holistically about your designs and how they ladder into both a longer-term product vision and design system
- Thoughtfully and professionally communicate your design logic and rationale both internally with your creative peers as well as cross-functionally, to further your objectives in a collaborative and personable way
- Identify aspects of the site/app that can be improved and justify your perspective with data as well as industry best practices
- Lead and manage value and usability tests using sound research methodology–setting up screeners, discussion guides, and moderating users
- Execute innovative creative ideas to advance Rent the Runway’s brand vision
- Partner with other creative team members to unite the visual style consistency across the brand
- Bring positive energy and freshness to your daily collaboration with the product, tech and marketing teams to execute digital projects across all platforms
- Exude the desire to be challenged and inspired by new ways of thinking
- Manage and track asset handoff and production process for all designs
- Help scale the team by both taking on design-ops efforts (e.g. building out our design system) and assisting with future hiring needs
- You have a Bachelor’s degree plus 10+ years of product design experience, including 2+ years of management experience
- You have proven experience leading Growth-related design work–from driving new customer acquisition and creating viral loops to optimizing the conversion funnel
- You’re a visionary who enjoys designing modern, strategic, holistic solutions that always ladder back to business and user goals
- You can conduct user tests and research with sound methodology, and understand how to apply data and insights from other teams to your designs
- You have a deep understanding of your craft and the inputs and activities that will help the success of your projects (e.g. design principles, user testing, stakeholder interviews, design sprints, etc.)
- You have a love for visual design and design systems
- You’re a collaborative team player with an interest in learning and listening to technical and non-technical partners
- You’re able to present and pitch user-focused solutions to stakeholders
- You prioritize tasks and meet deadlines under pressure with little management, and enjoy having a sense of accountability over your work
- Your designs are refined and polished
- You have a foundational knowledge of front-end development, can think technically, and know how to work with engineers to bring good design to life.
- You are fluent in Figma and/or related design tools
- Bonus points for having previous experience working in e-commerce, fashion, and/or a startup!
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week, in accordance with Company policies.
COVID-19 VACCINE REQUIREMENT:
RTR is requiring all US corporate employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to work in person, unless an employee requires a reasonable accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you believe that you may require an accommodation, please apply for any roles that interest you and if hired, you will receive information on how to request a reasonable accommodation after your start date. RTR will evaluate all such requests in accordance with Company policy and applicable law.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.#LI-AR1