Fashion Apparel Designer
At Orchard Brands (a subsidiary of Bluestem Brands) we strive to be the premier provider of distinctive lifestyle apparel through our Portfolio of Heritage Brands. Being uniquely advantaged at the intersection of value and exclusivity, we endeavor to build community, loyalty and emotional connection with our customers.
We are currently seeking a Fashion Apparel Designer to join our Orchard Brands Draper’s & Damon’s Team. This Role can be based out of our Irvine, CA or Middleton, MA office which operate in a Hybrid (a mix of in office and remote time) work setting.
As the Fashion Apparel Designer, your Role is to execute the seasonal design development process from concept to delivery by creating and executing original, trend-appropriate design concepts. You will ensure that concepts are on time, meet market needs and drive individual Brand sales. You will collaborate with the Design Director, Merchants, and Sourcing Team to set, execute and deliver Seasonal Concept direction.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Executes market research and collaborates with the Merchandising team to identify seasonal key trends as they relate to our target consumer. Creates concept/mood boards, analyzes collections, shops competitors, performs competitive analyses, and pulls and reviews fabrics, design concepts, presentation boards, mock-ups, print colorways, and inspirational photos for stakeholder meetings.
- Maintains a strong sense of Brand identity while developing seasonal color direction and identifying and designing key items within cost parameters.
- Assists in all aspects of product design including sketching, building tech packs, trend research, artwork development, presentation boards, and collaboration of approvals. Designs according to line plans, sales needs and emerging trends ensuring timely execution of the product development calendar.
- Builds sketches and designs into engaging and trend focused new product collections.
- Attends and engages in weekly Best Seller meetings, discussing potential product issues and addressing concerns.
- Attends and engages in milestone meetings on sketch and product reviews:
- Reviews seasonal sketches with the Merchant team discussing and determining strategy, color flow and production options.
- Reviews seasonal prototypes with the Production team and based on their feedback, connects with the Merchant team to discuss options. After Merchant input is received, presents prototypes back to the Production team for feedback, advice and direction.
- Works collaboratively with the Technical Design team to discuss garment design aesthetics and attends all fittings to give clear and concise feedback, ensuring fit, esthetic and product intent are achieved.
- Manages product development communication and timelines with overseas agents and proactively communicates with all cross functional teams, discussing and changing T&A calendars when necessary.
- Works closely with the Production Managers to meet prototype delivery dates, price metrics and production delivery timelines. Consistently engages in ongoing learning of production capabilities and how they translate to new and updated product styles.
- Maintains organization of product sheets and samples.
- Bachelor’s degree in Fashion/Textile Design or closely related field; 3+ years of Apparel Design experience OR an equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Strong sense of design and color concept with extensive knowledge of garment construction, fabrics, and trims.
- Passion for apparel design with the ability to recognize and translate trend direction into brand appropriate products.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively across multiple teams and to articulate plans and present ideas to Senior Leadership.
- Excellent computer skills including Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator, Web PDM and Microsoft Office.
- Proven efficiency in planning, prioritizing and executing workload in a goal focused, deadline driven environment.
- Team-oriented and self-motivated with the ability to manage multiple competing tasks.
This position falls under our Orchard Portfolio, which is home to four legacy Ecommerce apparel brands – Appleseeds, Drapers & Damons, Blair and Haband. Head to https://www.bluestem.com/our-brands/orchard-brands/ to learn more about who we are and how we build connections and value our customers.
At Orchard, you will find responsive and supportive leaders who empower our employees, knowing they drive our success. We are continually innovating and improving, challenging ourselves to take risks, learn from mistakes, and celebrate success as a team. We also grow careers - giving employees on-the-job stretch assignments, lateral moves to expand their knowledge base, and promotional opportunities that help accelerate their career development.
Join our Orchard Brands Team to be inspired, make an impact, and feel valuedevery day.