Fashion Design Specialist
New York Edge is the largest provider of after school and summer camp programs in New York City public schools. Each year, programs in academics--including STEM, the arts, sports & wellness, and college access help 40,000 students develop leadership skills and succeed in school. Click here to see us in action. Working parents count on our programs to provide safe and enriching environments for their children.
New York Edge is seeking a highly creative, passionate, and reliable individual to fill the role of Fashion Design Specialist at our school's location. In this part time role, you will be responsible for sequential lesson planning based on the New York Edge Curriculum, classroom preparation for fashion art activities, teaching and holding students to established standards, and adapting the New York State Arts Learning Standards in order to create an engaging and rewarding activity that encourages participation in New York Edge programs.
- Prepare and teach sequential skill-building lesson plans based on New York Edge Visual Arts Curriculum and Units
- Define objectives for all lessons and clearly communicate objectives to students
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet the students' varying needs, interests, and developmental levels
- Prepare art materials and classrooms for art making activities
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among the students for whom they are responsible
- Explain principles, techniques, and safety procedures to students, and demonstrate proper handling of art materials, tools, and equipment, including cleanup
- Assist with coordinating and facilitating student trips to Museums
- Help students observe, discuss, and write about their art
- Promote positive character development in all youth
- Organize and promote interest in the Visual Arts at the school site level
- Attend Visual Arts Workshop training sessions, participate, and take notes
- Help plan and set-up all aspects of art shows (as applicable)
- Contribute content for website for the arts New York Edge Specialists are expected to provide homework support during Academic hour
- Must be knowledgeable and skilled in fashion design and/or sewing
- Prior experience teaching and instructing youth preferred
- Must have knowledge in a variety of art, illustration, and garment making techniques, equipment, terminology, and vocabulary
- High school diploma required
- Minimum of two years of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required
- Able to work during after-school hours, i.e. 2:30-6pm
- Certifications and credentials related to the visual arts and the fashion industry are highly preferred
- Must be fully Covid-19 vaccinated!
- Must be willing to adhere to all federal, state, and local guidelines, policies, and mandates as it pertains to Covid-19 including but not limited to wearing PPE and remaining socially distant when possible.
- 9-15 hours per week
- Monday - Friday 2:30pm - 6 pm
To apply, please visit our website at newyorkedge.org/careers
At time of offer and acceptance, the job requires safety and security clearances through the Department of Education
and Department of Health.
New York Edge is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.