Freelance Technical Designer
Merlette New York, a Brooklyn-based luxury womenswear brand is looking for a talented and motivated Freelance Tech Designer to support our team. This is a part-time freelance position and is a hybrid schedule. Fittings and meetings will be held at our Brooklyn Studio.
- Develop all tech packs for woven garments each season
- Create all spec sheets and POM diagrams for the patternmaker and the factories to follow
- Maintain standard measures and keep fit consistent from season to season
- Handover all tech packs and spec sheets to NY patternmaker
- Correspond with the patternmaker to ensure all details are understood
- Attend all muslin fittings with NY patternmaker and send fit comments
- Attend all 1st proto fittings and make suggestions to improve fit. Review specs and construction details are as requested
- Audit all NY patterns before handing over to the factories
- Update all tech packs and specs after the final muslin fitting
- Throughout development, update tech packs and spec sheets as requested by the design team
- Create graded specs and review nested patterns for production
- Attend production fitting to review any concerns from the sales market before production begins
- Ensure all garments are developed in a manner consistent with established fit standards and high-quality finishes.
- 7+ years in apparel technical design Must have live fit experience
- Must have extensive knowledge of pattern-making & garment construction
- Experience in women’s woven garments and denim is required
- Experience in knitwear is a plus Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent time management/project skills
- Ability to recognize and react to changing work demands Comfortable and confident in making effective decisions in a timely manner
- Proficiency in computer pattern programs, and computer spec writing programs such as Gerber, PLM, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, MS Office.