Jonathan Simkhai is searching for a talented Handbag Designer who is responsible for helping to develop product lines representative of the brand. This position could be a Full Time Freelancer/Consultant with the possible opportunity to transition to Full Time Staff depending on needs of he business or may just work through February 2023.
- Concept, and Design product from start to finish - including new artwork and hardware development.
- Collaborate closely with footwear designer and creative director to align hardware, colors & materials for cohesive accessory collection
- Partner with the design teams to develop and refine seasonal concepts, materials, hardware, and color palette for handbag collections.
- Responsible for timeline adherence; ensure all files are completed accurately and delivered to Product Development on time; ensure all prototypes are available for product presentation and finalization.
- Responsible for upholding design integrity, high quality execution, and timeliness throughout the entire development process from concept through bulk.
- Create handbag techpacks as well as applicable hardware
- Assist in sourcing and choose materials (leather, fabric, ornamentation) for samples.
- Organizational work for division
- Partner cross-functionally with Merchandising, Sales, Design and Product Development on a regular basis. Participate in meetings with cross-functional category partners.
- Special projects as needed (include GWP and special store exclusives)
- Other duties may be assigned, including SMS comments and revisions to factory and production approvals
- Minimum 5 years of experience designing handbags and/or small leather goods
- Bachelor’s Degree in Design or related field
- Ability to sketch both technical drawings and freeform renderings
- Experience developing product directly with factories; understanding of development from concept through engineering, required
- Understanding of materials, hardware, leather, and handbag construction required
- Strong working knowledge of Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience managing Design Assistant, Apprentice and/or Freelance reports
Established in 2010, the Jonathan Simkhai brand provides luxury ready-to-wear for the modern woman. The core aesthetic philosophy plays with the tension of feminine strength and sensuality; this is reflected in the employment of customized fabrics, romantic detailing, linear lines, and contoured silhouettes. Through designs that seek to embolden women with confidence and ease, the brand represents modern versatility. As a 2015 winner of the prestigious CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund, Jonathan Simkhai continues to redefine the 21st century wardrobe and reinvigorate American fashion.