Head of Design
Summary & Purpose of Role:
- You will have both a highly creative talent for design, as well as an astute commercial understanding of our market. You will be responsible for leading the Design team, driving global sales through the design of commercially viable products across both our core ready-to-wear and beachwear ranges and collaboration collections, which will both meet and elevate the Rat & Boa’s bold and spirited aesthetic. You will support the brand in making both creative and strategic decisions.
- This is a newly created role within the company and the successful candidate will be joining the team at an exciting and inspiring time as the brand is experiencing strong global growth.
Primary Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- You will be responsible for the design development of all product collections, from initial concept through to the finished sample.
- You and the team will take product concept briefs from the Creative Directors and bring them to life as well as proactively lead concept development in line with the Rat & Boa aesthetic.
- You will oversee and develop detailed range plans and monthly product-drop schedules and ensure that the team delivers the product development required.
- You will actively drive commercially viable ideas to expand product categories that complement our existing offering.
- Collaborating with both the internal team and freelancers, you will conceive, refine, and execute innovative product and textile print designs that you will present to the Creative Directors for final approval.
- You will have experience providing detailed direction and instructions on design, trim, fit and fabric and create tech packs where necessary.
- You will ensure the delivery of commercially viable, high quality products/collections that will deliver profit margins in line with sales budgets and market opportunities.
- You will explore using new, innovative and specialised technologies, materials, construction techniques and product features to elevate and continuously improve existing products.
- You will actively research and evaluate key trends and customer insights to identify new product opportunities that support the growth and expansion of the business.
- You will create and present mood boards of research as required.
- You will maintain a strong awareness of the market and brand competitors.
- You will be responsible for leading product development, supporting the brand creatively and ensuring that the company's creative vision is clearly communicated to and executed by the team through the products they deliver.
Organisation ‘Fit’ & Values
- You will be an ambassador for Rat & Boa, actively promoting the company both inside and outside the business.
- You are outgoing, approachable and supportive.
- You have a proven ability to manage workloads and conflicting priorities in a busy work environment.
- You view and welcome constructive criticism as a means for development and improvement.
- Contribution this role has to make to the Business:
- You will be responsible for leading the Design team, driving expanding global sales through the design of bold and spirited clothes at accessible price points for both the core collections and collaborations, which both meet and elevate the Rat & Boa aesthetic.
Background & Profile
- Highly creative.
- Must have experience in pricing and making commercial decisions.
- Must specialise in womenswear, with a focus on soft fabrics and a knowledge of cross-product categories.
- Have experience with print and textile development, including both conceptualising and creating artworks.
- In-depth knowledge of the manufacturing process and raw materials needed to develop samples and ranges effectively
- Have experience taking part in fittings, and be adept at design and construction problem solving.
- Be comfortable making strategic and commercial decisions.
- Have a wide network of suppliers (both EU and China based), manufacturers and freelance contacts
- Have the ability to produce accurate and detailed spec working drawings for manufacturers.
- Have the confidence and ability to make decisions under pressure.
- Have the ability to manage multiple projects from concept to launch and be adaptable to shifting priorities.
- Work with technical design to create mock-ups and prototypes that explore, resolve, or prove new concepts or construction techniques
- Have a minimum of five years fashion design experience working with luxury brands
- Have experience managing a team.
- Soft skills:
- Must have previously worked in a Design role as part of a team.
- Must be able to work well both independently and as part of a collaborative team.
- Must have excellent communication skill and be able to provide clear direction and leadership on creative concepts both visually and verbally.