Innovation Designer, Footwear & Apparel
OUTGROWN YOUR OWN BACKYARD? COME PLAY IN OURS.
At Columbia, we’re as passionate about the outdoors as you are. And while our gear is available worldwide, we’re proud to be based in the Pacific Northwest, where natural wonders are our playground.
Every product we make and every task we undertake is inspired by the famous words of our founder Gert Boyle: “It’s perfect. Now make it better.” As pioneers of relentless improvement, we are constantly evolving.
We believe the outdoors is ours to protect and strive to keep our planet healthy. We believe in empowering people to experience the outdoors to the fullest.
And we believe in you.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Innovation team is a future-thinking team responsible for world-class innovation of material platform technologies that enable next-generation consumer products for active people.
The Innovation Designer is focused on developing innovative concepts, prototypes, and products across the Columbia footwear, apparel, and equipment/accessories product lines. As our Innovation Designer, you will work to understand and answer consumer needs with novel footwear and apparel design concepts in line with the strategic vision of the Brand. Working within the Performance Innovation Team, you will manage development of new game-changing concepts, have a passion for thinking differently and trying new things with a consumer benefit and intuitive story at top of mind.
HOW YOU’LL MAKE A DIFFERENCE
- Conduct research for worldwide trends in the design of new footwear and apparel products
- Interpret and apply information as it applies to Columbia Sportswear consumers and customers
- Conceptualize and perform a wide variety of product design tasks in the development of new footwear and apparel products.
- Provide liaison support for innovations from concept to commercialization
- Proactively manage projects and process through direct interaction with the Innovation team, internal cross-functional partners, key suppliers and strategic partners around the globe.
- Partner with product development on production and costing challenges.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with management, staff, factories and vendors.
- Use exceptional time management skills to accomplish challenging objectives and manage heavy workload.
- Hands on approach to solving problems and creating concepts.
- Proven ability to work well on cross-functional teams to meet strategic directives.
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects
- Open minded. Always open to a challenge and excited by solving the hard problems.
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design or related field. Or 2-3 years of additional experience in high performance footwear/apparel design/innovation.
- 3-5 years of experience in footwear/apparel design, development or manufacturing. Outdoor footwear/apparel design/development experience a plus.
- Experience with Illustrator.
- A passion for the outdoors and an understanding of consumer-centric product design and development.
- An attitude for getting things done and ability to embrace projects as assigned.
- Attendance at evening/weekend meetings may be required.
To learn more about our hiring process during COVID-19, click here.
Columbia Sportswear Company and our portfolio of brands, including Columbia, SOREL, Mountain Hardwear and prAna, know a thing or two about adventures. After all, we've been on one since 1938, working to perfect the art of enjoying the outdoors. Behind everything we make is an employee who's found that the greatest adventure starts with joining a company that strives to do the right thing.
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position's scope and function in the company.
At Columbia Sportswear Company (CSC), we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. CSC believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a global company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.