Jewelry and Hardware Designer and Technical Designer
POSITION SUMMARY:The Jewelry and Hardware Designer/Technical Designer will report to and work directly with the Director of Accessories Design on jewelry and hardware design/ technical design for each season.
- Partner with Director of Accessories Design and accessories team in designing from concept to creation a full range of jewelry and hardware pieces each season based off the seasonal sku plan.
- Work with Director of Accessories Design and accessories team to research and identify trend directions; trend/vintage shop, pull inspirational photos and review design concepts.
- Create and present design boards for each season showcasing jewelry and hardware inspiration, silhouettes, materials, colors, and sketches; ensure accuracy of boards and line sheets throughout design and development process.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of the line (silhouettes, materials, and design details) and is responsible for tracking changes/additions.
- Design according to brand aesthetic, new and inspiring concepts, emerging trends, seasonal story, sku plan and sales needs; ensure timely execution of product development calendar.
- Design into and evolve best sellers.
- Ensure maintenance of libraries.
- Approve colors and materials with product development team and ensure consistency with color standards.
- Partner with Director of Accessories Design and accessories team to translate design intent into product technical specifications.
- Provide technical insight into new silhouette development.
- Communicate technical information clearly on tech packs to achieve design aesthetic intent with various factories.
- Create full-scale technical specs using either the latest Adobe Illustrator and CAD tools Illustrator plugin or Rhino to clarify proportions and shape; ensure accuracy of tech packs in SharePoint throughout development process.
- Maintain established standards, details, and integrity of the product.
- Review development samples for corrections, including aesthetics, dimensions, hand feel, functionality, and workmanship.
- Provide technical callouts while reviewing line in its entirety to ensure consistency.
- Identify, clearly define, and resolve technical issues and partner with the PD team to ensure comments are communicated.
- Identify opportunities for cost engineering improvement and raw material optimization.
- Keep all Ai and pdf files organized and labeled properly in SharePoint.
- Create and maintain Illustrator component libraries (to scale hardware components, brush strokes, material swatch libraries.)
- Tag/label all development samples.
- Help keep sample closet, archive closet, hardware, and material libraries clean and organized.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum 5 years’ work experience in design/technical design focused on jewelry and hardware. Experience with acrylic, resin, pearls, bamboo, wood veneers, and natural materials (straw and rattan) is a major plus.
- Strong portfolio showcasing jewelry and hardware design/technical design work.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accessories Design, Fashion Design, Industrial Design, or a related field.
- Advanced proficiency in hand and/or computer sketching,
- Advanced proficiency in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop; ability to CAD in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in Rhino or a 3D program preferred.
- Thorough understanding of the design, technical design, and development process from inception through production; experience working with global factories.
- Jewelry and hardware product construction and engineering experience required.
- Advanced knowledge of industry construction standards and manufacturing, including materials.
- Strong experience in concept creation and knowledge of fashion and market trends with an understanding of Cult Gaia product aesthetic and quality.
- Keen attention to detail, initiative, and organizational skills.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, fashion environment with minimal supervision.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and resourcefulness.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Positive, constructive, solution focused, hardworking team player; none of us are successful without the help and collaboration of our team members.