Manager, Consumer Communications
Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100” most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
About The JobAs Manager, Consumer Communications, you will be responsible for continuing to grow RTR’s brand awareness and reputation among consumer, fashion and fashion trade media, as well as among the VIP and celebrity community. In this role, you will activate the RTR consumer press office and develop a consumer-facing media strategy to garner ongoing earned coverage, generate widespread awareness and drive business objectives.
You understand implicitly how to translate the cultural zeitgeist and real-time company data into consumer-facing narratives. You will manage brand-building activities including, but not limited to, media strategy development, editorial placement, relationship building with media, thought leadership activities for our Chief Merchant, local events, VIP and celebrity relations and product launches. You will partner closely with the Fashion team, and operate cross functionally within the RTR Marketing organization to further inform the brand’s identity, overarching narrative and partnership strategies. As a member of a small team, you’ll be expected to work independently and to take on new responsibilities as the need arises.
This is a hands-on role where excellent organizational and time management skills are as essential as experience and network.
What You’ll Do
- Activate creative consumer campaign that map to business objectives, while generating media coverage and driving organic site traffic
- Cultivate and maintain close relationships with consumer/fashion reporters; proactively pitch story ideas to journalists and follow up with editorial opportunities
- In partnership with Rent the Runway’s Style Director, manage and grow the company’s celebrity/VIP program
- Write, edit, and proofread materials including but not limited to press releases, pitches, fact sheets, media lists, etc.
- Work closely with the fashion and data teams to mine and identify trends that position RTR as a fashion trailblazer
- Execute outreach programs that deliver positive coverage and improved influencer perception
- Develop and implement celebrity seeding & stylist seeding program
- Manage local market media outreach based on business goals
- Manage local market consumer events in partnership with cross-functional stakeholders
- Stay in touch on industry/audience trends and news
- Help keep the team running smoothly, including managing the team’s budget, tracking media placements and media monitoring
- You have a BA or BS with a minimum of 5+ years experience in a public relations role (either in-house or at an agency).
- You will have demonstrated relationships, success and expertise in fashion, and/or with lifestyle or disruptive DTC brands.
- You have strong media relationships with a proven track record of securing feature stories across all forms of media.
- Ability to work independently, exercise good judgment, adapt quickly and prioritize in a fast-paced environment
- Takes initiative, anticipates next steps and sets high standards in all he/she does
- Team player with the confidence to take the lead when necessary while remaining flexible to support team members as needed
- Bold, creative, thoughtful approach to work product and regularly brings forward new ideas
- Persuasive when presenting to larger groups or in regular meetings, both internally and externally
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Integrity, maturity, dependability, and a positive professional attitude
- Strong organizational and project management skills
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - our corporate employees have the option to work remotely 3 days a week, in accordance with Company policies.
RTR is requiring all US corporate employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to work in person, unless an employee requires a reasonable accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you believe that you may require an accommodation, please apply for any roles that interest you and if hired, you will receive information on how to request a reasonable accommodation after your start date. RTR will evaluate all such requests in accordance with Company policy and applicable law.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.