Manager, Menswear Buying (New York)
Reporting to the Vice- President, Menswear Buying the Manager, Menswear Buying is responsible for achieving SSENSE seasonal Menswear buying targets and executing on the Menswear Buying strategy by building and leading a team of Buying Professionals and ensuring outstanding relationships with vendors. The ideal candidate is a demonstrated leader with an elevated taste level, exceptional analytical abilities, and the ability to execute merchandising strategies to effectively drive the buying plan in a fast-paced, hyper growth environment.
People Leadership & Development - 25%
- Manage the growth and development of a team; coaching on all aspects of the business including data driven analysis, negotiations, issue management, and SSENSE POV
- Collaborate with Senior Leadership to establish the short term objectives for the department and ensure team's are engaged towards achieving the department's missions.
- Translate topline Menswear objectives into group and individual merchandising strategies.
- Lead, motivate, and inspire the team, clearly communicating goals and targets and fostering an environment focused on growth
- Work with Senior Leadership to create and support effective engagement action plans for the team based on employee feedback resulting in a transparent, collaborative, inclusive and productive work environment for all team members
- Provide regular reporting on the development of the team and its deliverables to the Vice- President, Menswear Buying
- Hold weekly one-on-ones, conduct performance reviews, analyze individual KPIs and assess promotion readiness to help each contributor evolve in their role
- Design, create and lead training sessions for the team to upskill their capabilities in opportune areas resulting in successful business expansion
- Lead hiring efforts to attract and retain top talent of Buyers
- Responsible for managing the onboarding and training of new team members
Vendor Relationships - 35%
- Work with Senior Leadership to identify new business opportunities and execute on the go forward strategy, ensuring updates are communicated back to senior leadership in a timely manner, tasks are delegated out to direct reports and ensuring continued alignment throughout the year
- Lead strategic external negotiations relating to high-investment and priority partnerships
- Provide mentorship and guidance in external negotiations to ensure delivery of strategic and seasonal menswear targets
- Maintain a strong pulse on the market and identify strategic opportunities to attract new brands to SSENSE
- Develop relationships with new vendors and negotiate terms, conditions and exclusivities
- Optimize brand and product performance by negotiating terms and marketing opportunities through co-op
- Foster, develop, and maintain strong vendor relationships in order to be recognized as a driving force in fashion
Operations - 40%
- Attain seasonal targets including budgets, margins and sell through for defined team
- Create monthly reporting recap with key findings, results and new developments and present to Senior Leadership
- Optimize Buying processes by identifying opportunities and present actionable solutions to Senior Leadership
- Review all purchase orders for defined team and provide guidance based on thorough analysis and industry trends
- Maintain a small portfolio of brands and ensure performance targets are achieved
- Ensure seasonal and special project deliverables are consistently met
- Partner with the Merchandise Planning team and Senior Leadership to identify opportunities; translate opportunities into actionable strategy
- Manage the team schedules including travel, time-off requests, and oversee all people management operations pertaining to direct reports
- Bachelor’s degree in Fashion, Commerce, or a related field
- A minimum of 2 years managerial experience in a similar role
- A minimum of 5-7 years experience as a Buyer, preferably in the fashion, e-commerce or luxury industry. Menswear experience is preferred.
- Thorough understanding of the global menswear landscape with pre-existing relationships with vendors
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in both French and English
- Strong leadership, time management, and problem solving skills
- Highly analytical with a strong understanding of retail math
- Well spoken and articulate with excellent oral communication skills
- Confidence and credibility with solid track record in networking and negotiating
- Strong interpersonal skills with a natural ability to build relationships
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.