Create a healthier, brighter future for pets, pet parents and people!
If you want to make a real difference, create an exciting career path, feel welcome to be your whole self and nurture your wellbeing, Petco is the place for you.
Our core values capture that spirit as we work to improve lives by doing what’s right for pets, people and our planet.
- We love all pets like our own
- We’re the future of the pet industry
- We’re here to improve lives
- We drive outstanding results together
- We’re welcome as we are
Petco is a category-defining health and wellness company focused on improving the lives of pets, pet parents and Petco partners. We are 29,000 strong, working together across 1,500+ pet care centers, 250+ Vetco Total Care hospitals, hundreds of preventive care clinics, eight distribution centers and two support centers.
Essential Job FunctionThe incumbent must be able to perform all of the following duties and responsibilities with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Develop business plans for assigned merchandising category(s) in a manner which ensures category goals and objectives are strategically and tactically aligned to both differentiate Petco from the competition, as well as deliver on Petco’s customer value proposition of exceeding customer expectations and financial budgets.
- Create and nurture a “shared-vision” environment of collaboration, partnership and open discussion with direct reports and other Petco team members and stakeholders, both internal and external, that establishes and communicates clear and realistic goals, objectives and functional roles and are aligned with the category(s) strategic plan; use objective means to monitor progress toward those goals; effectively coordinate team members in order to meet timelines.
- Negotiate profitable product costs and contract terms, including leveraged inventory, returned goods allowances, etc., with vendors to achieve sales and margin goals for assigned category(s).
- Collaborate with Merchandise Director on daily procurement activities and by conducting relevant market research on products and merchandise; continue to learn technical buying role as well as relevant category/sector developments; may perform buying duties/functions for a small number of products in a non-complex area.
- Conduct research projects on products, merchandise, customer trends and market factors, utilizing the category review process to identify key factors affecting the performance of assigned category(s); maintain and/or increase knowledge of company product ranges and gain specific experience related to assigned products.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams in creating, developing and implementing financial models which manage assortment analysis and planning, product mix, pricing, gross margin, replenishment and promotional expenditures, as well as ensure proper product allocation and inventory levels to meet the financial model’s goals for both stores and distribution centers; as directed, use objective means to monitor progress toward goals, such as auditing sales and business performance (by item and category) to ensure planned profit margins goals are being met and recommend adjustments accordingly if they are not.
- Develop advertising plans and promotions with vendors and Merchandise Director which drive and increase sales and expand profit margins consistent with financial plans; partner with Advertising and Visual Presentation teams to maximize impact of promotions.
- Prepare and/or collaborate in the preparation of field and operations communications in order to ensure proper and actionable (timely) information is provided on special issues/concerns.
- Ensure all activities comply and are conducted in accordance with international, federal, state and local laws, regulations and ordinances; remain cognizant of planned/proposed changes to same.
- Interact professionally and effectively through verbal and written communication with all professional contacts with emphasis on company interests.
- Perform other related duties, tasks and responsibilities as required, assigned and directed.
- Direct and manage a small staff comprised of merchandising associates, including Merchandise Analysts.
- Responsibilities include recruiting, interviewing, hiring, training, mentoring/coaching, providing functional guidance, assignment delegation and follow-through, and, partnering with Human Resources, discipline up to and including termination.
- Other management tasks include, but are not limited to, providing input and direction on such topics as key goals and objectives; strategic and tactical planning, implementation and execution; budgetary issues; capital expenditures and associate management, training and development.
- Additionally, this position will lead a cross-functional team over which it does not have direct administrative authority.
- This position is expected to independently lead these teams through the successful development and execution of strategic plans and tactical imperatives to support the business plan for the assigned category(s).
- Operates in a standard office environment.
- The majority of job duties are performed while seated indoors with little or no exposure to hazards.
- Day and overnight domestic travel to vendors, seminars and/or conferences is required periodically throughout the year.
- Extended domestic and overseas travel may occur periodically throughout the year.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent, preferably in merchandising, marketing or related curriculum.
- Requires a minimum of three years progressively responsible, professional-level merchandising experience as a buyer or category manager in a superstore, mass market or specialty national or large regional, multi-unit retail chain store.
- Of these three years, at least one to two years should have been served in a capacity involving work with a national or specialty chain, merchandise buying and marketing, product assortment, vendor negotiations, etc., as well as previous general management experience of professional-level associates.
- Specific functional experience should include inventory management, product assortment, and vendor negotiations.
- Also, requires advanced business acumen and analytical skills necessary for proper financial modeling and management of assigned category(s), including the ability to control financial metrics required to achieve profit objectives.
- Must have advanced computer skills, including MS Office Suite and the aptitude to learn and utilize new internal applications.
- Leading a small staff of less experienced merchandising associates and/or cross-functional team
- Persuade, and motivate others with the ability to flex style as the situation requires, and collaborate or empower as needed
- Partner and negotiate with vendors, as well as with Petco associates - Understand and communicate with a diverse set of leaders and associates at various levels and within various functional areas that impact their category(s)
- Continue to expand ability to manage multiple responsibilities with the skill to multi-task and shift focus from one task to another seamlessly
- Develop long-range plans for assigned category(s) based on sound knowledge of category and corporate expectations.
- Collaborate with Merchandise Director on larger scope of business
- Recognize and seize upon opportunities to maximize sales and profitability
- Champion change management efforts through the effective utilization of the talent of team members
Petco Animal Supplies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or any other protected classification.
The pay range(s) below are provided in compliance with state specific laws. Pay ranges may be different in other locations.
$101,900.00 - $152,800.00
Hourly or Salary Range will be reflected above. Exact rate of pay will be based on position, location, and experience level. For a more detailed overview of Petco Total Rewards, including health and financial benefits, 401K, incentives, and PTO -see https://careers.petco.com/us/en/key-benefits