Manager, Visual Merchandising and Store Design
Connected by creativity and driven by purpose. Hourglass Cosmetics is a vegan and cruelty-free beauty brand, redefining luxury cosmetics with high-performance products, innovative formulas, and award-winning franchises. Recognized by Forbes, Fast Company and Time Magazine as one of the most inventive beauty companies, Hourglass leads the industry with its breakthrough products and its commitment to animal welfare. Founded in 2004, Hourglass is globally available in 32 countries and 2,600 doors including Sephora, Ulta, Bergdorf Goodman, Nordstrom, Space NK and more. Hourglass became part of the Unilever Prestige division in 2017. Discover more about the Hourglass brand story and mission on our website hourglasscosmetics.com.
The Manager, Visual Merchandising and Store Design will support the Global Visual Merchandising and Store Design team by serving as the lead 3D technical designer and display developer for merchandising fixtures within all points of sale, including gondolas and shop-in-shops. Working collaboratively with team members within Vis Merch/Store Design, Product Marketing and Commercial, you will be involved throughout the entire seasonal lifecycle from product planning to launching in stores.
Once spatial studies are completed to verify product fit in the pre-planning phase, you will create seasonal planograms that accurately reflect the retailer’s product assortments within the fixture requirements and budget allocations. After planogram approval, you will develop dimensioned drawings for new displays that optimize product placements and presentation, taking into consideration Hourglass design standards, materials, graphic needs, and the consumer experience. You will then co-lead weekly meetings with our display vendors to kick off the designs and review technical drawings, prototypes and dielines, giving timely feedback along the way at each step. Once prototypes are approved, you will brief in the graphics portion of the project to the 2D team, as well as update 3D renderings in Sketchup that will be used for approval meetings and instruction sheets. For the larger footprint shop-in-shops, you will work alongside the store design team to develop fixture and merchandising display strategies and designs. You will also be a critical member of the team that creates global Hourglass store design and visual merchandising brand guidelines.
In addition to bringing a strong technical background and experience with display development, the ideal candidate will have excellent communication and project management skills and be proactive to respond swiftly in a fast-paced environment. Part technical designer, critical thinker, and documentarian, you are detail oriented with strong organizational skills to manage complex information and keep our documents/fixture library accurate and organized. You are self-motivated to manage timelines and projects, and you are a team player who enjoys working collaboratively. This is not a design role per se, but rather your skillsets will bolster the visual merchandising intersection of strategy, creativity, and operational efficiency. This is an exciting opportunity to be involved in many aspects of visual merchandising and store design with an amazing team as we grow globally across diverse retail channels. Experience with beauty merchandising, planograms, retail design, and assortments are a plus. Must have technical design and display development experience.
Candidate Profile: Product design, industrial design, architecture, engineering, retail and visual merchandising or equivalent background. Portfolio with technical drawing examples is required.
Software High Proficiency: Sketchup, Adobe Illustrator. Additional CAD and rendering programs a plus.
Proficiency: Photoshop, PowerPoint, Excel, Smartsheet, MS Teams.
WHAT YOU DO:
MERCHANDISING PLANNING AND STRATEGY – 35%
- With manager and cross-functional partners, plan the season to strategically highlight new product launches, discontinuations, assortments optimization, consumer experience and budget planning.
- Validate product fit within merchandising fixtures during the product planning phase.
- Create Illustrator-based, scaled planograms that are accurate to the retailer’s fixtures.
- Attend weekly meetings with global and regional teams to present and review upcoming launches and planograms.
- With manager, review estimated costs as planograms are developed. Identify opportunities for reducing complexity and costs across points of sale.
- Understand in detail the vast Hourglass retail landscape, including retailer fixture gondolas and counters, graphic treatments, assortments, and merchandising strategies.
- Organize the shop-in-shop furniture and product merchandising display library.
- Understand the cadence of seasonal timelines to stay on track, from planning to launch.
- Ensure planograms are approved and marked as final. Cascade and share files with teams via SharePoint and Smartsheet.
TECHNICAL DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT – 50%
- Lead the display development process from technical drawing creation through prototype approvals.
- Create technical drawings for product templates using Hourglass 2D and 3D standards, ensuring a cohesive and balanced product presentation.
- Co-lead weekly meetings with display vendors to review fixture development and timing.
- Review vendor drawings and details to ensure they represent the design intention.
- Review prototypes for product fit and function, materials, and construction details.
- Communicate comprehensive feedback to vendors via live meetings and in Smartsheet in timely manner.
- Develop 3D Sketchup renderings for a variety of needs, such as new product drawings, retailer fixtures, visual merchandising displays, and store design layouts.
- Review dielines to ensure they are accurate to kickoff graphics with 2D Design Director.
- Work closely w/ Manager, VM Operations to communicate information regarding production timelines, graphics, shipping, and instruction sheets.
FIXTURE LIBRARY DOCUMENTATION AND GUIDELINES – 15%
- From gondola to shop-in-shop, maintain the Hourglass library of fixture drawings, planograms, and 3D renderings to ensure they are accurate and to scale.
- Keep files labeled, organized, and updated on SharePoint and Smartsheet.
- Help create design guidelines based on best practices for product optimization, visual clarity, and graphics communications.
- Review vendor instruction sheets to ensure installation instructions are clear.
- Perform bi-monthly store visits to document Hourglass displays and assess market trends in merchandising and design.