The Merchandise Planner is a leader within the Planning organization. The ability to influence both peers and managers is critical for success in this role. Merchandise Planners are accountable for the analysis of in-season business and the development of future financial strategies that support financial goals. Through their analysis and development of financial strategies, the Planner will collaborate with Merchandising, Production, Deployment, and Demand Planning.
- Empowered to make decisions in partner with their leader while also balancing input from cross-functional team members
- Analyze business performance and make recommendations that will maximize sales, profitability, and inventory and mitigate risk – weekly/monthly for MPC.
- Revise plans based on actual results for all planning metrics.
- Partner with merchants and planning leadership on seasonal strategy.
- Develop markdown strategies to optimize sell thru and profitability
- Forward planning – highlight risks and opportunities based on fact-based assortment analytics.
- Support creation of financial decks with commentary for key business meetings (i.e. MPC, Buy Review, and Hindsight)
- Improve capabilities around analytics, conclusions, and recommendations, to assist in driving key milestone meetings to conclusions with improved communication and influence.
- Plan and manage backorders, returns, and cancelations. To include BORIS/SOOS impacts on plans and results.
- Manage greige/fabric positioning and liability in conjunction with Production
- Maintain and take accountability for delegated tasks
- Leverage experience in role to mentor and assist Associate/new Merch Planners in thought process and planning methodologies
- Assist Management with special projects and initiatives
- Participate in multi-level meetings
- Build and evolve R&R/speed calendars with Production partnerships applicable to the category
- Leader/shadow for the floor (build organizational influence)
- Bachelor’s Degree, in Business, Finance, Operations or Statistics. Advanced degree in quantitative analysis, finance or business administration preferred.
- 3 - 5 years of retail merchandise planning; inventory management; financial planning or financial analysis experience
- Very strong numbers aptitude (statistical/accounting experience/analysis experience)
- Proficient with forecasting methodologies and statistical modeling
- Strong communication and presentation skills: concisely presents complex information/recommendations in terms meaningful to various audiences
- Ability to advance to high levels of computer literacy; exposure to relevant planning, finance, analytical, data management systems: Unit Flow Demand Projection System; Microsoft Office Suite; Excel Add-In; MicroStrategy and Essbase
- Analytical thinker - problem solver
- Strong collaboration skills needed
- Management experience is a plus, but not required
- Adapts to situational demands, flexible
- Strong organizational skills, multi-tasked oriented
- Proficient in Excel and MicroStrategy
- Attention to detail, accuracy, discipline to check work
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Communicate to all levels with a clear, concise point of view, both verbally and in writing
- Strong Presentation skills
- Assess and identify risks and opportunities
- Dedicated, self-motivated
- Ability to motivate people
- Team Player
- Experience in Digital planning tools