Merchandiser, Meat & Seafood
The Merchandiser, Meat & Seafood is responsible for providing expert meat training in cutting procedures, seafood training, merchandising, SOPs, operational & category management standards and production efficiencies assuring the best in Meat & Seafood Department merchandising and presentation standards. This position will execute effective schematics and plan-o-grams in fresh meat, seafood, butcher block full service, frozen meat, and processed meat categories in all stores. The Merchandiser will be immersed in meat and seafood category management to provide information in driving the best in meat and seafood merchandising. The Merchandiser has P&L support responsibility for the districts aligned with the Director of Meat & Seafood.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Providing leadership by encouraging new ideas, developing pride of workmanship, being cognizant of morale within each Meat & Seafood department and demonstrating a high commitment to ethics and hard work.
2. Greets customers in an ongoing effort to elevate overall customer satisfaction level and deliver superior customer service.
3. Apply learnings from store observations, category management and competition to assist in developing weekly Ads, promotions, events, contests, and new programs.
4. Implements regionally competitive merchandising strategies and marketing plan through advertised specials, regular pricing, and special promotions.
5. Will ensure the growth and development of future Meat & Seafood associates at all store levels to be expert Meat & Seafood merchants through training, one-on-one meetings, groups, video conferencing, manuals, build books and diagrams.
6. Coordinate with Wholesalers and/or district operation teams to execute Meat & Seafood projects.
7. Creation and execution of store level Meat & Seafood training programs in whole or in parts. This would include simple tasks to complete trainee programs.
8. In working with operations, provide solutions to elevate the general knowledge, experience, and expertise of all Meat & Seafood associates.
9. Analyze category performance across a variety of indicators – sales, market share, store clusters, gross profit, mark up, mark downs, turns by category & item level, known shrink, shelf execution & other predetermined matrix’s that drive organizational change and visibility in how we manage the shelf from item acceptance to implementation.
10. Provide analysis and develop recommendations for category and consumer trends.
11. Monitor and produce weekly category metrics reporting that guide decision process.
12. Create ad hoc reports as requested.
13. Identify and understand competition’s impact on the category and provide recommendations to grow category market share.
14. Analyze item assortment and create recommendations for an efficient item assortment.
15. Using optimal category information, provide store specific information for merchandising efficiencies to each store.
16. Develop store specific schematics or plan-o-grams for all categories in Meat & Seafood.
17. Responsible for evaluating implementation, compliance, and results of key Meat & Seafood Department initiatives.
18. Assists in recruiting and retention of managerial positions and assists department managers in decision making (i.e., selection through career development).
19. Implements regionally competitive merchandising strategies and marketing plan through advertised specials, regular pricing, and special promotions.
20. Communicates with Director of Meat & Seafood to ensure consistency in quality standards, timely product flow or seasonal items, and selection of new items.
21. Conducts weekly price indexing and audits operations to establish and maintain advantage over competitors.
22. Increasing gross profit by good shrink control, buying the correct mix, and following merchandising guidelines.
23. Monitors departmental budget for labor, supplies, sales, and gross profits, as well as annual budget for capital expenditures.
24. May assist in the design and layout of new and remodeled facilities.
25. Assists in training department managers in safe work practices to ensure safe working conditions for associates and customers alike.
26. Other duties as assigned by the Director of Meat & Seafood.
Indirectly manages 70+ Meat & Seafood managers who supervise a varied number of associates in Meat & Seafood departments across all stores.
Education & Experience:
· High School diploma or GED, or equivalent experience.
· Minimum of 5 to 8 years of experience managing a successful meat and seafood department.
· Preferably, 3 to 5 years as a successful Meat or Seafood Merchandiser, Meat or Seafood Buyer, or Meat or Seafood Supervisor.
· Experience supervising a multiple store operation preferred.
· Experience buying, merchandising, marketing, and budgeting of a multiple store operation preferred.
· Superior meat and seafood merchandising and analytical skills.
Competencies (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities):
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Customer Service- Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
Teamwork- Contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests.
Ethics- Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
Interpersonal Skills- Maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
Professionalism- Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
Computer Literate- Must be proficient in MS Excel, MS Word, MS Power Point, MS One Note, MS Teams.
Work environment/physical demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ø Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
Ø Ability to sit for long periods of time.
Ø Lifting of items 10 – 25 lbs.
Ø This position may require up to 50% travel.