Merchandising Manager - 12m Ftc
Job descriptionThe role
Reporting directly in to the head of Merchandising, the Merchandising manager will support the merchandising function for the business to ensure that. As the Merchandising manager, you will be expected to have a strong working relationship with all other functions in the business. You will be collaborative, organised, and strategic-always looking to push the both the merchandising function and business forward. Along with the head of merchandising, you will be responsible for the delivery of sales, stock and profit targets to achieve the brands overall financial goals.
To support the Head of Merchandising in ensuring that the Buying function is effectively controlled within the agreed business strategy, and that all necessary frameworks, controls and skill sets are in situ to enable the necessary degree of both long-term planning and in season trading to maximise business performance
Here at Pretty Little Thing, we strive to fly the flag for love, equality, and acceptance, working to use our platform to spread nothing but good vibes. Regardless of race, gender, sexuality, style or budget - there's something for everyone! We want our customers to feel confident in the way they dress and to embrace the way they look. #EveryBODYinPLT is our community that is all about body positivity, equality and supporting each other.
What you'll be doing
- Works closely with the Head of Merchandising at a strategic level and can translate strategy to implementation. Contribute to the formulation and management of the departmental critical path
- Operate as a senior business manager, forecasting sales, stock and profitability in an effective manner for all designated product areas that drive the overall business and financial goals of the company
- Planning and reviewing all designated product areas monthly/seasonal/annual budgets, option counts and depth of buys- ensuring that these fit within the overall Merchandising/buying strategy and financial goals of the company. Both present and sign off the monthly WSSI and budget review to the head of Merchandising, finance team, FMD and CEO. Can effectively deputise and carry out all reviews in the absence of the head of merchandising
- Guides teams and agrees department strategies that will be presented to and signed off by the head of merchandising
- With the Head of Merchandising, ensures that end-of-season reviews and lessons learnt meetings are held with the head of buying and senior buying team to drive and aid the formulation of future season frameworks and planning
- Analyses trading patterns, advises teams and ensures appropriate action is taken to unforeseen sales reactions.
- Demonstrates views on current key trade activity that potentially impacts the company / brand. Drives the review and monitoring of competitor activity.
- Is actively involved in the formulation and review of product promotional strategy, highlighting promotional and marketing opportunities. Works closely with both the Marketing and business intelligence teams with this process
- Works closely with the VM manager and VM team, ensuring that the rest of the merchandising team are also doing this. Works with the VM manager to ensure that VM guidelines are adhered to, that VM is not counter-productive to the overall merchandising and buying strategy and ensure that all daily/weekly Merchandising and buying requirements are rigorously communicated by the merchandising and buying teams (Mega menu requirements, weekly markdowns, product and category launches, VM change requirements, product uploading targets and any on-site issues that the VM team need to know about)
- Along with the Head of Merchandising, monitor and sign off the weekly markdown requirements proposed by each product area. Drive the required reporting for markdown performance (weekly, monthly, seasonal and annual), highlighting any areas of concern to the head of merchandising and propose any actions required
- Monitors and maintains buying margin and gross profit margins, achieving specified targets. Advises on, and implements additional strategies/actions to drive the highest levels of BIM
- Proactively works with the senior accounts team to develop effective working relationships which translate to agreed targets and performance.
- Agrees, establishes and delivers effective and financially sound strategies for the ongoing resolution of terminal stocks within the business.
- Operates as strategic business manager, overseeing the teams and their processes, demonstrating best practice. Foresees future weaknesses/needs and suggests possible solutions
- Continually reviews processes and systems within the department and makes recommendations for changes to support business goals and growth. Pre-empts the need for/manages change - supporting teams throughout process.
- Consults with other stakeholders to discuss and agree implementation plans for any required changes.
- Is aware of current and emerging best practice within merchandising/buying and makes recommendations to the business as appropriate.
- Offers advice and helps find solutions to issues encountered by the teams- acts as a trouble-shooter
- Assists in building a strong team with a focus of attracting growing and nurturing future talent (internal and external)
- Provides positive leadership supporting brand/company policy/strategy and encourages others to do so.
- Assists in developing the skills of the team- identifies and flags individual training needs and carries out regular one-to-ones
- Provides individual support to new Merchandiser and Junior Merchandisers - ensures a full induction is provided and adequate support given during their learning curve.
- Encourages effective teamwork
- Actively motivates the team, giving recognition and praise
- Deals with any people issues promptly and appropriately
- Ensures proper measurements are established to assess the success of all defined buying and merchandising actions
- Builds effective and open relationships with all members of the merchandising and buying team, based on reliable, accurate and relevant data. Builds a strong effective working relationship with the head of buying, liaising and working with on a daily/weekly basis
- Can effectively work and communicate with the CEO and FMD on a daily/weekly basis, aiding the business's senior management team in making effective informed decisions
- Ensures productive relationship between merchandising function and all other business areas to ensure goals achieved, specifically the marketing, accounts, warehouse and HR teams.
- Builds strong effective working relationships with the brands supply base. Has regular contact with all key suppliers
- Delivers key information at the right time, to the right people, and presents at high level meetings as requested by the Director's.
To succeed here, you have to love working at pace. It's relentless, but we love it. Change is a certainty - you need to adapt and be agile. We want you to challenge the status quo, innovate and be open to trying new things. We're always pushing boundaries. We empower our people, giving them freedom and autonomy to learn and grow in their roles.
More about you
- Either extensive experience as a Senior Merchandiser or experience as an established Merchandising Manager
- Experience in managing or overseeing multiple product areas and teams
- The ability to work in a fast-paced environment and adapt to rapid change
- Excellent organizational, written and oral communication skills
- Willing to go the extra mile
- Proven experience in a high volume and high speed working environment, delivering the highest possible results always
- Strong internal/external management skills
We know that as a company we are only as good as the people that we employ. We know our employees work tirelessly to make PLT the success it is today and in turn, we offer them some amazing benefits:
- Free parking
- 25 days holiday
- Free on-site gym with daily classes (due to current restrictions, live PT sessions)
- Discretionary Bonus Scheme
- Company shares schemes - including a ' Save As You Earn' scheme
- 40% staff discount (including PLT, Boohoo, Boohoo MAN, Nasty Gal, Coast, Warehouse, Misspap)
- Monthly social events (including pay day drinks, Employee Appreciation Day etc.)
- Salary sacrifice pension scheme with 5% employer contribution
- Flexible working hours
- Cycle to work scheme
- Childcare support through the Government
- Health cash plan
- Personal development opportunities to learn and grow at work
Hybrid Working Policy
PLT offers increased flexibility with working from the office and home in the form of our smart working policy. In brief each department has a set amount of days allocated to office time and working from home to ensure you get the best of both worlds.
Here at PLT we not only embrace diversity we celebrate it! We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and we're continuing to build an inclusive environment for our employees. We know we are better together, and we will continue to build a team that represents a variety of skills, perspectives, and backgrounds.
PLT want to give everybody the chance to perform their best whether that is during an interview or whilst at work. Should you require any reasonable adjustments please let the talent team know.