The Merchandise Planner will plan and manage merchandise sales, profit, inventory, and turnover goals. Identify risks and opportunities to maximize profits. Review location sales trends and inventory needs. Execute planning responsibilities for multiple departments. Drive and/or contribute to projects resulting in improved departmental systems and efficiencies.
Duties And Responsibilities
- In conjunction with management and buying team, determines long and short term goals and establishes a business strategy for maximizing financial plans.
- Delivers standard weekly & monthly merchandise and location analysis for all merchandise departments
- Provides accurate reporting to managers and merchant team in order to achieve department plan. Effectively interprets and uses relevant reports and information.
- Partners with buying team to develop and maintain Open-To-Buy report tool. Analyzes department/class sales, margin and inventory results versus plan and communicates needed adjustments to forecasts.
- Plans and forecasts weekly sales goals and inventory needs for key programs. Reviews selling trends and modifies inventory flow to maximize opportunities and minimize liabilities.
- Plans annual fiscal merchant sales and gross margin goals by department for every shop. Sets inventory targets by location.
- Develops by-location by-department inventory targets that support overall strategy of in-stock positioning for key merchandise categories, classifications, items and vendors.
- Reviews and reports on gross margin performance to ensure merchandising strategies support the financial objectives.
- Builds relationships with all levels internally and adapts style to the personalities of different individuals.
- Ad Hoc projects and analysis
- Other duties as assigned
- Any offer for this role is contingent upon candidates providing proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 or receiving a legally required exemption or accommodation prior to your start date.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Merchandising, Marketing or related area preferred
- Minimum 3-5 years retail experience, preferably in planning and/or buying with experience in system implementation/administration.
- Strong analytical skills (ability to perform analysis, draw conclusions and make recommendations).
- Excellent problem solving skills to diagnose and resolve complex issues.
- Strong listening skills and the ability to communicate effectively both written and verbal.
- Ability to formally present business strategies and action plans. Can be persuasive in presenting ideas and recommendations to key constituents.
- Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite (Advanced Proficiency with Excel) and planning system experience preferred.
- Results oriented.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail and high level of accuracy.
- Flexible and able to handle a fast paced work environment and team atmosphere.
- Demonstrates the ability to think like an entrepreneur by continuously searching for new opportunities, seeking to understand the customer and his/her buying preferences, and exhibiting strong commitment and motivation to deliver results
- Manages time effectively; is able to multi-task and prioritize based on business needs.
- Exhibits effective negotiation skills that result in mutually beneficial outcomes and builds the buyer relationship.