1-800-Flowers.com, Inc. is a family of over a dozen all-star brands features gourmet foods, gift baskets, floral products, personalized keepsake items, and more, designed to thoughtfully solve our customers gifting and sharing needs. The Popcorn Factory is part of 1-800-Flowers.com, Inc. and has specialized in making fresh-popped popcorn using the finest corn grown in the United States for more than 40 years.
The Merchant for The Popcorn Factory is responsible for the merchandising, development, and management of the growth strategies that support our direct to consumer business, as well as other initiatives like Business Gift Services, fundraising, private label and/or custom products and programs.
The Merchant defines and translates strategies into initiatives that will result in accelerated market share and profit growth. This individual understands and leverages customer needs to create winning strategies for revenue growth, product positioning, development, and pricing. The individual in this role analyzes data and works with the marketing, planning, and product development, and operation team to create and implement strategy with action plans touching many cross functional teams. They are responsible for creating the assortment architecture and managing the profitability of the product lines. The individual in this role spends time with internal and external feedback/data to build market insights and ideas and must be able to excel in a fast-pace and ever-changing environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops assortment architecture, value proposition & strategies from ideation through commercialization
- Aligns management to seasonal and overarching plans
- Analyzes retail trends, competitive lines, category pricing, and research data
- Identifies opportunities and implements plans for line extensions and new introductions
- Maximizes profitability of the brand
- Leads product development needs and manages to brand timeline across many cross functional areas
- Guides cross-functional teams including members from sales, marketing, R&D, supply chain, manufacturing, and finance to achieve brand growth through implementing merchant strategy
- Develops and manages project timelines & coordinates appropriate details and plans
- Accountable for leading a team member with item set up, photoshoot needs, marketing support, web support, item costing, sample approval, etc.
- Bachelor's degree in Merchandising, Marketing, Business, or related
- 5+ years of relevant experience in Merchandising. Additional areas of experience may include consumer research, new product development, and profitability analysis.
- Excel experience is a must, Oracle experience is preferred.
- Understanding of vision/strategy, business planning, marketing principles, project management, analysis & budgeting
- Familiarity with sales, manufacturing, R&D and finance principles
- Strong analytical abilities
- Superior personal communication skills, both written & verbal, as well as presentation skills
- Results-oriented & self-starter with proven ability to manage complexity
- Trend spotter & creative thinker -- ability to generate original ideas & encourage brainstorming from others
- Ability to lead and manage cross-functional team members, provide direction and support, and make decisions on a timely basis
- Experience managing multiple projects in a matrix environment