We are Makers. We make what hasn't been made before, including a new model of US manufacturing. Come help us make our future!
COME GROW WITH US!
This position is one of several added in conjunction with our expansion in Lawrence!
We are looking for individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit and willingness to roll up their sleeves to help build a future model of US manufacturing. If you love building processes and systems, working with a diverse and multilingual workforce, and learning how things are made from the inside, then you would be right at home at 99Degrees!
WHO WE ARE
Lawrence MA-based, 99Degrees was founded in 2013 to transition US manufacturing into an advanced manufacturing industry through speed, agility, technology and a commitment to our region and workforce. We are a US contract manufacturer who produces technical activewear and wearable technologies for the most forward thinking global and high growth brands. We incubate advanced concepts, develop, prototype and sample, and produce in the US with unprecedented speed and agility. We have been recognized with top prizes from MIT’s Inclusive Innovation Competition, MassChallenge and EforAll business accelerators and have been featured on NPR, PRI, MSNBC, and in the Boston Globe.
· Innovation: We pursue technologies that benefit us all. We change, adapt, and learn to capture and execute cutting edge and game changing ideas. We approach challenges with solutions.
· Inclusivity: We celebrate diversity as a strength. We ensure that we all have a voice. We foster systemic inclusivity and equal opportunity.
· Integrity: We are honest, fair, and principled. We do what is right even when it is difficult.
· Quality: We work with purpose to set new standards for our industry, for US manufacturing, and for business.
· People: We prioritize and invest in family, community, and wellness so that we all may pursue full and happy lives.
HOW THIS ROLE SUPPORTS OUR VISION
This position plays a key role on 99Degrees’ Development Team. The Pattern Maker works under the guidance of our Product Development Manager to deliver production-ready patterns that meet the specifications of our customers for size, fit, and construction. This position is responsible for maintaining and editing patterns based on changes made by our customers.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Build digital base patterns and pattern blocks based on customer designs.
- Create rough-draft templates using computer drafting software and/or freehand techniques when necessary.
- Ensure that patterns are correct, updated, and properly labeled with cutting and sewing instructions.
- Meet with Technical Developer to discuss the base design. Determine appropriate garment construction methods according to fabrics and styles.
- Measure, cut, and design patterns in the material when required.
- Troubleshoot technical issues relating to pattern files and provide recommendations and alternatives as needed.
- Grade patterns and convert measures when requested.
- Provide guidance to sample makers on construction based on patterns.
- Attend all fittings with Technical Developer and customer when required, take correction notes and execute corrections. Ensure first sample is correct and reflects original pattern.
- Independently research to find new details, finishes, and fabric manipulations.
- Work quickly and execute multiple patterns.
- Oversee the construction of sample making by directing and monitoring fabric cutters and sewers.
- Active involvement with Production Department to adapt the original sample pattern to production pattern.
- Make pattern adjustments to digital patterns to reconcile target fit with actual fit. Track changes, confirm that adjustments solve fit challenges. Approve final patterns before production handoff.
- Maintain files and archive all pattern, documentation, and spec changes.
- Able to create markers and generate yields.
- And any other related task that the supervisor deems to be necessary.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
Our ideal candidate will share our vision for the future of apparel manufacturing, will be a champion of our culture and our values. We are problem solving, collaborative, inclusive and evolving. If you are too…
and have the following qualifications:
- High school or GED.
- A strong understanding of the apparel product development process.
- Ability to read and modify tech packs, technical sketches, graded spec sheets, and bill of materials with precision and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of cut & sew and stretch fabrics as well as embroideries.
- Understands how to modify patterns, specs, and construction to achieve fit, function, quality and aesthetic targets.
- MS Office, cloud-based project management, and CAD pattern making software - Optitex preferred.
- Willing to wear multiple hats and to work outside job description, if needed.
- Build strong relationships with the Technical Developer, Sewers, Merchandisers, and Company Managers.
- Must have strong organizational and managerial skills; be able to prioritize and multitask.
- Be polite, and respectful with your peers and manager.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines. Take the initiative and a hands-on attitude.
- Accountability for your actions, and ownership of your responsibilities. Being closely involved in coordinating and organizing your daily tasks and in making decisions.
- Successfully works with diverse multilingual teams.
- Thrive in fast-paced, high-volume environment.
- Excited, interested, and enthusiastic.
- Assist the sewers when necessary.
· BS degree in Fashion Design, Apparel Design or similar field.
· Patternmaking certificate.
99Degrees Custom is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. 99Degrees Custom strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment.