Performance Apparel and Trim Designer 1
Position:Full Time - Hybrid, 3 days in house per week
About this role
As a Performance Apparel and Trim Designer 1, you will play an integral role in the seasonal product design process by designing products for the OR Pro apparel and accessory assortment.
Additionally, this role will support broader assortments by developing unique trim and branding vehicles that bring both the OR and OR Pro brands to life.
This role encompasses the full cycle of creative and product execution duties bringing a broad range of performance products from concept to commercialization.
Through constant exposure to industry trends and innovations, collaboration with our athlete team and close partnerships with our manufacturers you’ll relentlessly drive innovative, problem solving and highly functional design solutions that support our core end uses and serve consumer needs from professional, sport and lifestyle perspectives.
The goal is to create product that exceeds consumer’s expectations, is innovative and commercially compelling. This person will be a key partner with the Design Director, Design, Product Development, Merchandising and Manufacturing team.
· Design apparel, accessories and outerwear product that is aligned with the brand guidelines, seasonal design themes, and product line direction.
· Participate and present design concepts in seasonal line presentations to internal teams and external partners.
· Collaborate with Product Development to achieve balance on design intent and functional requirements during prototyping.
· Design and develop full suite of functional and brand enhancing trims across all categories and managing the centralized trim development process.
· Partner closely with Designers to understand trim needs and providing unique solutions that meet design intent, cost targets and performance standards.
· Proactively communicate with trim vendor partners and during the entire development process, working diligently to manage changes, eliminate errors and production delays.
· Create technical specification sketches, ensure accuracy of CADs throughout the development process and within the PLM system.
· Design and build schematics for trims and branding elements.
· Attend and participate in prototype and fit reviews with Tech Design, Product Development and Product Line Managers.
· Ability to travel domestically and/or internationally for key development milestones and the building of vendor relationships.
What you should bring to the table:
· Skills to conceptualize and ideate innovative solutions that drive apparel design. Strong ability to sketch and convey design concepts through 2D tech pack ready illustrations.
· Strong knowledge of garment construction, technical and functional applications, silhouettes, fabrication and trim.
· A passion for trim design and ability to conduct comprehensive research, problem solve and analyze optimal design solutions. Ability to solve complex design problems.
· Clear presentation and communication skills, ability to present designs at product reviews via sketching, prototypes, color boards, CAD, etc.
· Knowledge of construction, technical and functional applications, silhouettes, fabrication and trim.
· Knowledge of trim development, manufacturing, and component sourcing.
· Ability to prototype, test and review design concepts in order to develop functional, high quality commercial solutions.
· Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines, manages own priorities and workload to complete the required tasks. Strong calendar management and project management skills.
· Highly detail-oriented and meticulous with follow-up, strong written communication skills with trim suppliers and factories.
· Experience with performance materials/ trims and end use specific sport design.
· Honest, dependable team player with strong communication skills and the ability to work under extremely tight deadlines.
· Ability to work collaboratively within cross functional teams.
Highly Proficient in the following systems:
· Adobe Creative Suite: Illustrator and Acrobat
· Microsoft Office: Excel and Outlook
· PLM/PDM, or similar software use
· Fusion 360, or similar 3D Modeling software a plus but not required
· 3-5 years of experience in Apparel or industrial design in the outdoor apparel industry.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Apparel Design, Industrial Design, or related field.
What do we bring to the table?
· 11 paid holidays each year and 3 floating holidays
· Transportation benefits
· Paid volunteer time
· Comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans
· 401K with company match
· Discounts on Outdoor Research products & industry gear
· Dog-friendly office floors
· Locked, indoor bike parking
· Seattle HQ bouldering cave
· Employee interest groups