Principal Foundational Architect – Business Intelligence / Analytics (Remote Option*)
If you're ready to innovate and lead our Global Architecture and Platform organization, come join us now! You will be part of an organization that is revolutionizing Nike technology platforms and architecting a technology landscape that is simplified, modern, flexible and will ultimately enable Nike on its journey to 2025 and beyond.
Nike Global Technology designs, creates and implements the methods and tools needed to make the world's largest sports brand run faster, better, and more securely. Global Technology teams aggressively innovate the solutions needed to help employees navigate Nike's rapidly evolving landscape. From infrastructure to security and supply chain operations, technology specialists drive growth through top-flight hardware, software, and enterprise applications. Simply put, without Nike Technology, there are no Nike products.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
As a Foundational Architect for BI/Analytics Technologies at Nike, you will be accountable for incumbent and emerging technologies in highly available, global-scale business critical systems. You'll work on the most complex foundational systems and contribute to the overall strategic vision of the organization.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:
Results include platform architecture strategies and solution implementations for Business and Operational Intelligence Engineering Technology platforms.
As a BI/Analytics Foundational Architect, you are responsible for defining the technology future at Nike. We are a highly multi-functional team challenged with helping define Nike's north star and how we get there. It's in our nature to innovate, therefore, in addition to setting Nike's technology direction; foundational architecture is tasked with coming up with pioneering and innovative ways to unlock groundbreaking opportunities.
BI/ANALYTICS FOUNDATIONAL ARCHITECT - DAY TO DAY RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Principal BI/Analytics Foundational Architect will typically split day-to-day responsibilities between four main areas: influencing, solutioning, coding, and innovating. Below we have listed details about each area and roughly the percentage of time expected to be allocated to each area.
Once you define the overall platform architecture you must often investigate the specifics of the solution being built to support the customer. By digging deep into the overall solution, you will often uncover shortcomings of the platform architecture that should be updated and changed.
- Develop vision, strategy, and execution in alignment with product roadmap demand plans for platforms. Translating cross organizational demand into consistent and unified architectures delivered through platform architectures and reference customer implementations.
- Deliver technology solutions inclusive of on premises, cloud and COTS to custom developed solutions and all combinations. Analyzing solution implications from multiple vectors including but not limited to cloud- native design, resource planning, financial cost optimization, performance optimization, disaster recovery, high availability, global network performance and location impact and Total cost of operations.
- Review and access solution design documents created by Domain and Solution architects ensuring standard processes are followed by our internal customers.
- Manage a backlog for BI, Reporting, Business and Operational analytics for foundational architecture by defining backlog stories and acceptance criteria.
Work alongside other architects, lead engineers and delivery leaders to ensure they understand what the work is and how it needs to be developed. In this role, you will often need to rely on your influence to get the work done as you defined, because it is often different from how individual teams would complete the same work.
- Assume a lead role in the Foundational Architecture function in defining the technology standards and practices for global Nike use in the areas of Data Analytics, Reporting, and AI ML BI, Reporting, Business and Operational analytics Architecture.
- Alignment with Nike Global Technology strategies through strong technical thought leadership, evangelism, and practice.
- Works closely with other Foundational Architects, Domain & Solution Architects, Platform and Solution Engineering to ensure strategy and execution alignment.
- Advocate and drive adoption of "standard methodologies" to ensure standardization of Platform Architectures across the Enterprise.
- Works closely with Data Governance Community to support enterprise data quality goals.
Keep in touch with the direction of architecture in the industry and a good pulse on what the enterprise is working on. Understanding that sometimes we need to drive a proof of concept to understand the art of what is possible.
- Ensure NIKE Global Technology keeps up with the latest technology industry trends, product and solutions through research, meeting with industry partners.
- Create proofs of concept with new and innovative technologies.
- Provide architectural guidance and direction for technology innovation initiatives.
- Create Platform Architectures and Reference Solution Implementations from proven exciting technologies for scaled innovation.
CREATE THE FUTURE (15%):
Define the direction of BI, Analytics and Reporting, Analytics, and AI ML for enterprise architecture in partnership with domain architects and business needs.
- Create enterprise roadmap for use of Reporting, Analytics, and AI ML BI, Analytics, and Reporting technologies within the Nike landscape.
- Identify technology, techniques, and capabilities needed to mature existing platforms.
Many of our engineering teams are learning about our new platforms, architectures, and implementations. The ability to work alongside other teams and help code solutions is important to our success and ability to influence those teams on the art of the possible.
- Effectively manage priorities, work, and timelines with little need for assistance.
- Prove effectiveness and providing repeatable real-world examples of Platform Architectures in practice through the creation of Customer Reference Implementations in the form of working deployable, production ready code.
- Review and access existing solutions to harvest for platform architecture patterns. Create customer reference implementations to prove their viability and make available to the enterprise.
- Create proofs of concepts to validate and test new technology and approaches.
- Create proofs of concepts to test and define the performance profile of customer reference implementations to be later used by the enterprise.
WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH:
You'll partner with Platform Engineers, Product and Program Leaders as well as the Solution Architects and Engineering leaders from our internal customers to determine their requirements and leading the work via remote teams like an Open-Source model.
WHAT YOU BRING:
- Bachelor / master's degree in Computer Science, Business Information Management, or related field of study or equivalent combination of education and experience
- A passion for technology and solving exciting challenges
- Proven problem solver and pragmatic approach
- Current knowledge of industry standard methodologies
- At least 10 years of experience in a lead development or architecture role(s)
- At least 3 years as a lead architect
- At least 3 years of experience with public and/or private cloud
- Highly Skilled Demonstrable expertise in one or more cloud-native BI/Analytics stack (An Example - ETL/ELT, Snowflake, Tableau Dashboards)one or more of the following (Java, NodeJS, Python, Bash)
- Engineering Experience with Infrastructure-as-Code - Terraform, CloudFormation or Troposphere
- Industry expert in modern analytics practices and emerging technologies in CEP (Spark, Flink), Streaming (Kafka, Kinesis), Large-scale Data Processing (Apache Spark. Presto) Databases (different types & purposes - RDBMS/MPP, NoSQL, GPUData Warehouses, etc.), and machine learning / applied statisticsvisualization technologies (Tableau, Apache Superset, Matplotlib and Seaborn, for example) Tensorflow, MXNet, Torch, Scikit, other libraries)
- Preferred experience in Stream Processing frameworks (Spark streaming, Flink) and Streaming Technologies (Kafka, Kinesis),
- 10+ years combined hands-on engineering experience with public cloud, distributed computing, commercial off-the-shelf (COTS), and custom developed solutions
- Proven track record of translating business requirements into end-to-end solutions
- Collaborative mind, able to work with a team to deliver the strongest solution
- Self-starter with high motivation and passion who thrives in an ever-changing, fast-paced environment with the ability to adapt to change
- Large enterprise experience including global experience with solution delivery
- Exceptional collaboration, listening, written and verbal communication skills with ability to facilitate technology strategy, requirements, and architecture conversations with all stakeholders (management, business users, and technology resources)
- Strong leadership, confidence, and influencing skills
*Remote work option - open to remote work except cannot work in the following locations: SD, VT, and WV. These candidates will be required to relocate. For employees based in Colorado, this position starts at $163,000 per year. Information about benefits can be found here.