Production Pattern Maker
Tailor // Pattern Maker
Stitchroom is a modern take on an upholstery shop. We work with interior designers and their clients to create custom furnishings easily and reliably. We’re fully tech-enabled (everything from designing to buying and tracking your orders can be done through our web platform) and we manufacture everything in our Navy Yard, Brooklyn shop. We are a team of designers, upholsters and sewers and we understand what it takes to make your design vision a reality. We are looking for a tailor and pattern maker to join our team!
Start period - ASAP
Location - on site at Brooklyn Navy Yard, 399 Sands St. Building 303 Unit 705
Time Commitment- 30-40 hours per week
Description // Duties
The Tailor and Pattern Maker works hand-on alongside the team to complete production pattern making and cutting of upholstery goods such as pillows, cushions, draperies, and other custom home soft goods. Some manual labor is involved, and you should be comfortable lifting heavy objects and standing at a production table for most of the day.
- Collaborate with the Production Team to determine details, technical specifications, and execution plans for upcoming custom upholstery orders.
- Proactively troubleshoot any technical issues that arise, working closely with the Lead
Tailor and sewing team
- Communicate regularly with Production Team to ensure any edits or changes are aligned with client expectations
- Create tech packs for tailors, detailing any necessary components of each piece
- Engage with project management software and update daily, keeping the rest of the team up to date
- Assist lead pattern maker with cutting 1-2 days per week
- Sewing cut items 2-3 days per week
- 3+ years of experience in pattern making, coursework included and background in fashion, upholstery, or product design
- Demonstrated skills in complex fabric pattern making
- 5+ years of Sewing experience and industrial machines (upholstery grade fabric knowledge is a plus)
- Creative problem solving skills, confidence in decision making and a positive attitude
- Time management skills, attention to detail, and an action-oriented attitude
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment
- Desire to learn and improve daily
- An interest in Interior Design
Nice to have skills:
- Experience / knowledge in CAD/SketchUp/Adobe Suite
- Experience with excel or google sheets
- Exhibit technical expertise by proposing suggestions to improve current processes, either to cutting or to design or products
Access to sewing machines and shop tools on off hours, flexible work hours, bi-weekly team happy hours.
This position is open to everyone.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $20.00 - $25.00 per hour
- Paid time off
- 8 hour shift
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Brooklyn, NY 11205: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: One location