Senior Buyer - 22013701
Defines merchandise strategies for assigned categories consistent with our Mission, Vision and Values statement of being best at saving our customers money by creating excitement with brand name closeouts and bargains through a unique shopping experience. Identifies sources, then evaluates, negotiates, purchases and prices merchandise in accordance with the merchandise strategy to achieve sales, turn and margin objectives.
- Fosters relationships with vendors. Negotiates deals with vendors. In instances when purchases are not made, maintains positive vendor relationships for future opportunities.
- Defines the merchandise strategy, such as mix of close-out vs. non-closeout business.
- Jointly with the planner, develops a merchandise plan to support the strategy and achieve stated sales, turn and margin goals.
- Identifies opportunities to exploit sales and margin opportunities and partners with planner and allocation analyst to develop execution tactics.
- Collaborates with Planning, Allocation, Advertising, Merchandise Presentation, Distribution and Transportation Services, and Field Management to understand and improve upon internal company processes.
- Travels to stores to understand merchandise packaging and presentation requirements, customer requirements and customer trends. Shops competitor stores to assess direction of competition and understand competitive pricing structures.
- Travels to trade shows and vendor locations to develop a network of contacts, to stay informed on industry and competitor direction, and to source deals.
- Develops a collaborative team atmosphere through an open exchange of ideas and positive feedback between buyer, planner and allocation analyst team members.
- Trains and mentors Assistant Buyers and/or Buyers, as requested.
- Performs administrative tasks, as needed or requested.
- Achieve annual Sales Dollar, Margin Dollar and Inventory Turn targets for assigned product areas.
- Other accountabilities, as established by the Management Team.
- College degree, preferred.
- A minimum of five years of retail buying experience, preferred.
- Experience in buying complex merchandise categories and categories with large sales volumes.
- Excellent negotiation and marketing skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication and organization skills.
- Motivated and self-starter, willing to take on new challenges and learn every aspect of merchandising.
- Able to work as part of a team to achieve common goals.
- System capable in spreadsheet, word processing and data analysis tools.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.